Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Lord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2020
My iPod classic 4th gen which I recently bought off eBay (in full working order) keeps pausing randomly, I don’t know why it is doing this and I have a lot of iPods and I’ve never had this issue (I have only ever had 5th gens or older though). I have tried it with different headphones and different headphones and songs and albums and it hasn’t helped, I have been in the device to change the battery and it seemed to be doing before then (nothing seemed to be loose either). I don’t know if it could be the drive as I have heard of people having issues like this and it being the drive. It also doesn’t pause when I remove headphones no matter which pair I use (I think this is normal though), I am quite experienced with iPods but have never run into this issue with other iPods. I will be Flash modding it soon and I will post back if that fixes the issue.

Many Thanks
Will

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I thought iPods paused automatically when headphones were removed, but don't quote me on that. Could it be a faulty headphone jack?

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
@Capeto is correct on most iPods pausing when unplugged.

I had an iPod shuffle once that didn't do this after some time and then the headphone jack started having other issues (only playing out of one channel, etc.). Try cleaning the headphone jack with a q-tip and a small amount of rubbing alcohol and see if that makes any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.