Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Willy Wonka could have powered his Great Glass Elevator on hydrogen produced from his chocolate factory.

Microbiologist Lynne Mackaskie and her colleagues at the University of Birmingham in the UK have powered a fuel cell by feeding sugar-loving bacteria chocolate-factory waste. "We wanted to see if we tipped chocolate into one end, could we get electricity out at the other?" she says.

The team fed Escherichia coli bacteria diluted caramel and nougat waste. The bacteria consumed the sugar and produced hydrogen, which they make with the enzyme hydrogenase, and organic acids. The researchers then used this hydrogen to power a fuel cell, which generated enough electricity to drive a small fan (Biochemical Society Transactions, vol 33, p 76).

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=mg19025546.000&feedId=online-news_rss20

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm pretty sure I routinely turn chocolate into methane...does that count? :eek:

Hey, the greatest acomplishments of science have come in baby steps. Look @ the electron discovered in 1897, had zero practical applications @ first. But, without them I couldn't so much as enjoy an iced tea in July (the whole refridgeration process). And I sure as hell couldn't post this.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Now if only we could just sidle on up to our cars and let 'er rip... Total energy independence if we can grow enough frijoles. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.