Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Echoes

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2007
47º20'N 79º26'W
Try this

Try to plug your cable modem directly into your Mac, just to see if your Mac accepts the DHCP IP from your ISP.

You will need to let your modem reset itself before doing this. Unplug it from the AC for about an hour before plugging into your Mac. Cable modems "remember" the last NIC they were plugged in and they won't link when plugged in another one, unless they've been reset.

If this works then, your router may be faulty. I've found that a couple of consumer grade routers work perfectly with PC's running windows, but won't work with a Mac unless you manually set the IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS yourself.

If it still doesn't work, backup your files, reset the PRAM and perform a clean install. If it fails then... time to call Apple I guess!

itgoesbuzz

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
royal oak, mi
i dont know if anyone mentioned this but have you tried deactivating your ethernet connection and then reactivating it? when my connection doesnt work (amber, self assigned ip) that seems to do the trick.

Echoes

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2007
47º20'N 79º26'W
i dont know if anyone mentioned this but have you tried deactivating your ethernet connection and then reactivating it? when my connection doesnt work (amber, self assigned ip) that seems to do the trick.

Wow. You do have a good point here itgoesbuzz... I didn't even think about it although I did this myself once or twice to fix that 169.x.x.x on my 8 y.o. B&W G3!

Couldn't see the forest because of all those trees... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.