Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Early 2011. MacPro. 13 inch. High Sierra. 16gb ram. 1tb SSD. 700gb free. Quiet fan. Running adobe and usually have 20+ tabs on firfox open.

Staring to get buggy, jittery now and then.
When it's on form it's great, has been for the last decade / 14 years (lol).
But now and then it jitters - like when you move cursor, the cursor take a while to think and move.
I have been doing those ram reset (alt,cmd and P + R) and I think it works.
But now and then it will throw a hissy fit.
I should probably update the whole computer but I don't want to right now.

Any ideas on what I can do to stop this?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Early 2011. MacPro. 13 inch."

That's a MacBOOK Pro, right?

"I should probably update the whole computer but I don't want to right now.
Any ideas on what I can do to stop this?"

Start shopping for a replacement, either new or "Apple refurbished" (if they have them where you are).
This is intended to be a serious reply.
(after 13 years it's time for a new one. You can take the SSD out, buy an external enclosure for it, and "re-purpose" it with the new Mac)

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
"Early 2011. MacPro. 13 inch."

That's a MacBOOK Pro, right?

"I should probably update the whole computer but I don't want to right now.
Any ideas on what I can do to stop this?"

Start shopping for a replacement, either new or "Apple refurbished" (if they have them where you are).
This is intended to be a serious reply.
(after 13 years it's time for a new one. You can take the SSD out, buy an external enclosure for it, and "re-purpose" it with the new Mac)
Hi yes a macbookpro..

I undrstand you on the replacement thing, I would love a new on, a 15 inch one... Just the idea of having to reinstall my programs again... I have everything backed up like work and files on my extrnal SSD...
Which is the last on that I can open up and add 16gb ram and change the hard drive to ssd?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Which is the last on that I can open up and add 16gb ram and change the hard drive to ssd?"

2012. You don't want one of those.

Again -- time to start shopping for a modern replacement.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
"Which is the last on that I can open up and add 16gb ram and change the hard drive to ssd?"

2012. You don't want one of those.

Again -- time to start shopping for a modern replacement.
Really? After 2012 I can’t open it up and add more ram and add SSD??

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
When is the last time you wiped the drive and installed the operating system from scratch?
1 year ago. When I installed a new SSD.

I think it’s the battery you low. Battery not changed for ever. Maybe 8 years.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Up until Big Sur, I always did an annual erase and reinstall everything. Those older versions of OS X seem to need more frequent cleaning to keep them running well.

Yes.
I addded a 1tb SSD 1 year ago and it was a clean slate.

mrk123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Guys.

What do we think to battery? I think it’s battery. This battery maybe never been changed. Maybe I changed it 8 years ago. So long I can’t even remember.
I was looking at a 2012 15 inch. As I can upgrade it and I’ve always wanted a 15 inch. But right now I don’t need headache Of installing all my programs. So
I’m thinking try a new battery. Do we think this could be the problem?

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
I'm with Fisherrman on this one.. time to buy a modern machine. Reinstalling your apps is something you'll only do once, which may also prompt you to upgrade those too.. there are a lot of new apps out there. I wonder how many developers are still supporting 13 year old equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.