Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
I may have been impatient with waiting for the blue to wear. I guess I wanted it to lighten up instead of darken.

I don't think any of the leather will wear lighter...
I had the midnight blue leather case for a little over a week and could already tell the wear was darkening the case. Considering my main complaint was that it was too dark to begin with, that's what sparked my switch to the olive brown.

Having said that, I'm sure the wear will be much more visible on the brown than the midnight blue... just because it's lighter. I'll keep an eye on what this ends up looking like over time, but I agree with several others in that I think the wear will make the case look good/have character

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
I don't think any of the leather will wear lighter...
I had the midnight blue leather case for a little over a week and could already tell the wear was darkening the case. Considering my main complaint was that it was too dark to begin with, that's what sparked my switch to the olive brown.

Having said that, I'm sure the wear will be much more visible on the brown than the midnight blue... just because it's lighter. I'll keep an eye on what this ends up looking like over time, but I agree with several others in that I think the wear will make the case look good/have character

how long have you had the olive brown case? keep us updated on the wear of it. thanks

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I'm going to have some free time tomorrow so I'm going to head to the Century City Apple store which seems to have most of the case colors available, and I'll either do an exchange or return. I could just return it and go to Best Buy who are apparently selling the leather cases for $5 off.

Gryfter

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
unlike plastic/TPU cases, you cant wash the leather cases... all the oils from your hands will get stuck on leather cases... that darkening shouldve been expected...

BMW535i

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2013
I returned my midnight blue leather case tonight for a black leather case. :apple:

I'm about to go back to best buy and see if they have the olive brown in stock. if so I may go that route. at least with that one, it will show its age a little better than the midnight blue.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Sorry if it's been asked before but how much weight does it add to the phone? Is it notable ?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
I returned my midnight blue. I almost grabbed a brown leather case but ultimately decided that the red silicone is all I need right now. In the future I may very well get a brown leather case though.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Have they given anyone issues with returning due to the darkening?
I assume they know everyone knows it is going to darken but I guess not expected this fast and wondering if they will honor it.

I dont have my receipt though and would wonder if they would still exchange.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
Have they given anyone issues with returning due to the darkening?
I assume they know everyone knows it is going to darken but I guess not expected this fast and wondering if they will honor it.

I dont have my receipt though and would wonder if they would still exchange.

the guy at bestbuy didn't bother looking at it. just scanned it, scanned the receipt and gave me my cash back.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Bought mine from someone on the site and still look forward to seeing it and trying it but wont have a receipt most likely but it is unopened.

Tough call.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
I just exchanged my red for midnight blue today. It was on day 13 and corners started to turn colors. Guess ill monitor this blue one now.

avital

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
I have the red case for my Iphone 6

im wondering if you think it would be possible to take off and put on the leather case o couple of times, like once a day for example, without being able to spot any wear and tear on the edges?

Im asking about wear because its not like you can just open up the case, and take the phone out. No, you have to kinda snap it out and snap it back in again. And those edges and/or corners snapping in and out would eventually cause some wear.

The inside lined with felt would protect the back of the phone, so there wont be any scratches. But the edges of the case are stiff and im thinking they can cause wear on the edges of the phone everytime you snap it in and outim wondering if you think it would be possible to take off and put on the leather case o couple of times, like once a day for example, without being able to spot any wear and tear on the edges?

avital

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
No no :) i mean the phone will wear over time. Especially the corners/edges of the phone during the case snaping on and off when you take it off or putting it on. You subject the edges of the phone to wear and tear by doing that i think.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
thanks everyone. i'm really liking the case. again, i'm not a case person but this one adds minimal bulk and also adds grip. the design of this iPhone 6/6 Plus is just made to be slipping out of hands like it has with me. i'm glad I went this route.

the buttons still "click" even with the case. not mushy at all. very responsive.

I don't have an apple store in my city so that's the reason I pre-ordered it online through bestbuy's website. i still have an ETA of Oct. 5th as the delivery date but my local store has them in stock already.

I totally feel the same about the leather case. I really wanted to go case-less but realized the 6 really need something on it or I would be dropping it in no time at all. The silicone case is nice but now that I tried the leather case it feels even sleeker to me and it fits like a skintight glove.

I also don't mind the open bottom at all, in other cases I had for my iPhone 5 dust/dirt seemed to gather at any opening. It's also nice to be able to be to see a little bit of the frame of the phone.

Btw, nice pics of the midnight blue!

..Oh jeez, I see you got rid of the case lol! I'd get something on that soon!

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I'm pretty convinced the Red Leather case has been treated differently, or uses different materials compared to the Midnight Blue.

The Blue was much more supple, and felt like a delicate leather. It also wore like one, with the blackening/wear appearing after a week of use. The buttons also softened up to the point where it felt like I was pressing the Sleep button directly with no leather interference.

The red feels a little more synthetic, and it is still holding up without that same type of wear. There is a little darkening with dirt, but it is a different type of darkening (not the type where it looks like the leather is wearing through, but the type where dirt is on top of the leather). It is looking much newer after a much longer period of time. The sleep button still remains hard to press even after 3 weeks of use, as if it has not broken in much at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.