Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
bousozoku said:
It's the opposite of a bother to synchronise music and, since you want to use it as an external drive, you've already mounted it. Of course, I come to this point having ripped my CD collection for which the ID3 tag information was available with a few exceptions. There is no real bother.

The ID3 exceptions in my collection are staggering :eek:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Temujin said:
As to sync, I have a huge mp3 collection. And not all songs are worth while listening to, so I don't need a mirrored library on my iPod.

There's the beauty - the synching can mirror your entire Library, can ignore songs that you've unchecked, can only mirror certain playlists or can be entirely manual where you drag and drop from within iTunes. I don't have every song on my iPod ;)

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Applespider said:
There's the beauty - the synching can mirror your entire Library, can ignore songs that you've unchecked, can only mirror certain playlists or can be entirely manual where you drag and drop from within iTunes. I don't have every song on my iPod ;)

Well the sync options sounds great and all but kind of proves my point.
I'm looking for simplicity. I don't want to check/uncheck various tracks to get the sync to work as intented.

Tell you what, when I get my iPod I'll go iTunes all the way. If it turns out that it isn't as simple as promised by you, I'll give you hell :p

Deal? ;)

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Temujin- it really is as easy as possible. It gives you any and all options you want. You want to drag and drop it all manually? OK. YOu want to sync your entire library? OK. What I think you'd like it 'Sync selected playlists only', where you just add/delete what you want from defined playlists and only these playlists get synced. The power of iTunes is parallel to the knowledge of the user- they've covered all the bases.

taylorpc

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The thing that gave me the most pause about purchasing an ipod was the fact that I had NO idea how to organize it all. Then a friend of mine got one, and he just plugged it into his computer and itunes did all the work. I was amazed... everything on his ipod perfectly in order. I bought one shortly thereafter and have been basking in the wonder of this heavenly little device. :cool:

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
nattyz said:
bleh i dont like itunes, its like facist software. why cant we just drag and drop our files onto the player, preserving our native, and often unique, filesturcture. that would allow us to organize our music the way we want it, instead of the way the nazis @ apple want it.

i like the ipod, just dont like the way you have to put music onto it. its a nightmare if you dont have id3 tags that arent uniformly organized.

Most ridiculous thing I've read on MR in a long time............:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When I import stuff, I create a new playlist, drag the music into that playlist, highlight all the tracks, press cmd+I and name all the tracks with the proper artist, album, genre ect...then I use Clutter to find the album art on Amazon, press cmd+shift+K and it adds the artwork to all the tracks at once...done...takes maybe three minutes.

Is that ID3 Tags? what is an ID3 tag?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
quigleybc said:
Most ridiculous thing I've read on MR in a long time............:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seconded.

That's what happens when people pretend they know what they're talking about.

By the way, natty, the way you say you organize is the same way iTunes does if you let it, but it does it automatically, so changing an artist name changes the folder name, etc. I don't know how you tag things, but tagging in iTunes could not be faster or easier.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
Temujin said:
Not cool IMO. Giving me second thoughts about getting the 30GB.

What about using the iPod as an external drive. Do I have to use crack software to get that to work? Or does it work as any other external drive?

It's just the music that is hidden, but there are more ways to copy music from the iPod than there are ways to skin a cat. People mountains out of molehills on this one.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
quigleybc said:

It's the tag that lets your iPod know what all the information about that particular song, so artist, track number, etc. These can be added via CDDB or by typing it all in, but once it's there, the ID3 tag stays with the Mp3 (or AAC). This is how the iPod knows about the song as well, and displays album covers, etc.
It's just neat little metadata, but some people have these byzantine ways of doing it on their own; some I suspect don't really know how to use iTunes and really wouldn't have a problem.

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
nattyz said:
too late, i have already done all the tag editing...like i said, it's a major pain in the ass. and thats beside the point, apple shouldnt force ppl into adding/organizing music on the pod the way they do. they are just as bad as micro$uck.

i take it you failed to read Maxtorpeice's post a few above yours?

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
quigleybc said:

When I import stuff, I create a new playlist, drag the music into that playlist, highlight all the tracks, press cmd+I and name all the tracks with the proper artist, album, genre ect...then I use Clutter to find the album art on Amazon, press cmd+shift+K and it adds the artwork to all the tracks at once...done...takes maybe three minutes.

Agreed... iTunes could not make this any easier for us! ;)

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
hulugu said:
It's the tag that lets your iPod know what all the information about that particular song, so artist, track number, etc. These can be added via CDDB or by typing it all in, but once it's there, the ID3 tag stays with the Mp3 (or AAC). This is how the iPod knows about the song as well, and displays album covers, etc.
More specifically: http://www.id3.org/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.