Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
After new rMBP's releasing, I have heard so many negative feedbacks, almost 95% of all the feedbacks. But I think once people hand on their new Macs, they will just love them.

I personally love the new function bar and have many positive perspectives on thunderbolt 3 ports. I can image how I adjust the progress of my video without painfully using my trackpad.

and I also see Apple has done some works on software to compensate the loss of physical functional keys. You can change your Caps key to esc key and so on, if I remember it right.

------------update about price----------------
A lot of people here focus on the price rather the actual design. There is another thread talking about that. But not here.
It's a price hike. I hesitated a lot when I ordered it.

Last edited:
Reactions: leman and Baldrake

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
What's funny is that the majority of people who have actually had hands-on with them have liked them. It's the subset of forum dwellers that are complaining.

Reactions: Zwhaler

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Wow. They finally upgraded a design that is 4 years old, and hardware that is years out of date. Of course it will feel good/marginally better to use. That isn't what people are moaning about. What people are saying is that the upgrade doesn't justify the insane price increase, coupled with a few drawbacks such as the ports, same/less battery life and the new keyboard etc. If you people want to keep looking for reasons to fall in love with the new machines, you will find them, but that isn't going to fool any rational individual.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
It also came the day after MS announced the Surface Studio, which was very cool. The Touch Bar, while also a cool idea, was not as interesting as the Studio.

The new MacBook Pro is fine, and while I was hoping they could squeeze a 470 in there somewhere, the GPU and rest of the components are about par for the course. We all knew they were going full USB-C, so the dongle complaints are lame.

Price was a little surprising, but not fully unexpected when looking at how MS priced the Surface Book.

Some of the misc. stuff like not including the charger extender, and the port nonsense on the 13" was weird. But it is what it is.

Reactions: leman

fate0311

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
I'm not surprised at all by the behavior I observe on this forum, people instantly becoming dissatisfied with what they currently own due to the latest and greatest. It is by no means a stretch to say it is an unhealthy psychological disconnect a lot of society carries today.

Thats what we are programmed to think and do....CONSUME.

I just read a thread in which someone had pre-ordered a 16GB RAM MBP, and his lack of self control clearly took over because 2 hours later he posted in the same thread with his brand new unboxed 8GB MBP from a local retailer.

Think about that, he actually had to have one now to the extent he completely disregarded his initial hunger for 16GB. Pure satisfaction of having it RIGHT NOW.

Heres what is worse, I would be willing to bet he is going to return the 8GB as soon as his 16GB is shipped.

I hope that dopamine hit was worth it.

You guys are the exact reason Apple will always be able to sell sub-par hardware and still pull off respectful quarterly earnings.

This MBP release was counter intuitive. They robbed you of accessibility and practicality and left you with 4 holes and 3/4 of a keyboard.

Apple is a dictatorship. They sell what they want you to have not what the people want. People can call it cliche or corny or whatever they want but that entire company was STEVE JOBS.

He hands down proved to the world that he orchestrated that company.

Last edited:

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
After new rMBP's releasing, I have heared so many negative feedbacks, almost 95% of all the feedbacks. But I think once people hand on their new Macs, they will just love them.

I personally love the new function bar and have many positive perspectives on thunderbolt 3 ports. I can image how I adjust the progress of my video without painfully using my trackpad.

and I also see Apple has done some works on software to compensate the lost of physical functional keys. You can change your Caps key to esc key and so on, if I remember it right.

I'm sure it's a fancy machine, and quite impressive in certain ways. It's the total cost(machine+accessories+
Applecare) that will continue to be a thorny issue for consumers. There is also an inconvenience factor with all the dongles needed that plays into peoples' concerns about the new Macs. So, I'm not quite as optimistic as the OP that people will soon come around. I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on that.

jjiangweilan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
What's funny is that the majority of people who have actually had hands-on with them have liked them. It's the subset of forum dwellers that are complaining.

Yeah, if you read the posts from medias whose stuffs have already tried them, they offen give positive
Wow. They finally upgraded a design that is 4 years old, and hardware that is years out of date. Of course it will feel good/marginally better to use. That isn't what people are moaning about. What people are saying is that the upgrade doesn't justify the insane price increase, coupled with a few drawbacks such as the ports, same/less battery life and the new keyboard etc. If you people want to keep looking for reasons to fall in love with the new machines, you will find them, but that isn't going to fool any rational individual.

When you actually use "fool", "rational individual" and "fall in love with machines", it's hard to say who is "rational individual"

Btw, the 300$ is a price hike. And it definitely makes this machine expensive. What I'm saying is not the price. Again it's goddamn expensive. I just really need a Mac for work.

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Pretty simple; most people were having unrealistic expectations of the pricing. The iPhone gives a misperception that Apple is a general consumer product company. It's not, it's luxury. I drive a crappy car because I don't see the point in buying a luxury one, but I don't complain when I see $50k sticker prices on cars. Live within your means.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
Pretty simple; most people were having unrealistic expectations of the pricing. The iPhone gives a misperception that Apple is a general consumer product company. It's not, it's luxury. I drive a crappy car because I don't see the point in buying a luxury one, but I don't complain when I see $50k sticker prices on cars. Live within your means.

What % of people drive luxury cars? What % use apple products? There is a huge difference. Macbooks were always expensive and not for everyone but they just went crazy with the prices this time around, and deserve criticism for it.

Reactions: kerrikins

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

It actually makes perfect sense, because the people who are complaining are the ones who don't intend to buy due to pricing, lack of features, whatever. Hard to have a hands on experience when you've already been turned off of the product.

Reactions: leman

fate0311

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
What % of people drive luxury cars? What % use apple products? There is a huge difference. Macbooks were always expensive and not for everyone but they just went crazy with the prices this time around, and deserve criticism for it.

Because Apple knows people buy their happiness. They also know that a $2-300 difference in that happiness is not going to send someone back out the doors.

At most, the majority will complain and him and haw at the price hike, but at the end of the day it's going to eat away not having it. It will win.

I would put Apple fanboys on par with the addiction users have to heroin.

eroslws

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Here's your answer:
Apple: 11% (US only to be fair)
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/arti...as-windows-continues-to-cede-share-to-the-mac
Cars: >12%
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/...r-sales-crown-in-2015-lexus-moves-into-second

What's your point again?
[doublepost=1477721180][/doublepost]
Because Apple knows people buy their happiness. They also know that a $2-300 difference in that happiness is not going to send someone back out the doors.

At most, the majority will complain and him and haw at the price hike, but at the end of the day it's going to eat away not having it. It will win.

I would put Apple fanboys on par with the addiction users have to heroin.
Exactly this. It would take substantial incentive for me to give up an operating system that has proven to be efficient for my workflow, while also getting out of the way when I need entertainment. It makes me money and it's a joy to use. I have no regrets dropping $3k on the laptop even if I could get a comparable Windows laptop for $1000 less. I make that back in efficiency within a month.

Last edited:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I don't really have anything to add to this thread, as most what I think has already been expressed by other people (and much more eloquently that I could), just wanted to say that I'm happy to see there are plenty MacRumours users who can use their head (because hearing the "but Dell has Kaby Lake" was starting to get to me :D). You people are great, thanks!

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Really? Hardcore user base? I am your average user, not really a hardcore one at all, and I will simply not be able to justify spending £2500 for my next laptop to my wife, it is really that simple. Hers Lenovo yoga cost £500 and my (already expensive, in my view, but premium product) MBP from 2010 cost £1500.

Please note that I can afford it and it is absolutely not a money issue, but a principle one.

I will keep my MBP 2010 upgraded to SSD/8GB for another 5 years.

Reactions: Geert76

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
Ok there are different types of people

The ones that will buy it anyway because .. Apple
The ones that denied the product in the first place because they don't like change but later they will buy it because the consumerism kicks in :p
The rich ones that when they want to buy a laptop they just buy the most expensive one because... it must be good right?
And the ones that actually looks at their prefferences and see if the product fits for them and they will decide if it's worth to buy.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
It's the complete absence of invention that alarms me.

Equally, seems like Apple have completely abandoned the high end studio market. Depressing.

They're decent laptops that would be fine for me (though not in the market for one, my maxed '13 15" rMBP and maxed 2012 Mini will be fine for years, PC for gaming), but that Pro monicker has never been more absurd.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Ahh the arrogant old "you people just don't get it! You don't have vision like apple does" attitude after a launch. Knew this would come up.

I'll keep it brief: people have valid complaints that won't magically go away when they see that revolutionary touch bar

Reactions: onVacation

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Ok there are different types of people

The ones that will buy it anyway because .. Apple
The ones that denied the product in the first place because they don't like change but later they will buy it because the consumerism kicks in :p
The rich ones that when they want to buy a laptop they just buy the most expensive one because... it must be good right?
And the ones that actually looks at their prefferences and see if the product fits for them and they will decide if it's worth to buy.

I also see the ones that will compare this against things that are not in the same class, and then wonder why it's either so expensive, or underpowered. Some are comparing it against bulky gaming laptops, while others are comparing it to cheap ultrabooks.

Another group are those that are shopping for way more computer than they need; they are asking for 32GB RAM, 2TB storage, dGPU, etc...while they probably can do with the base 13". And of course these also subsequently complain that the one they want is too expensive.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
I also see the ones that will compare this against things that are not in the same class, and then wonder why it's either so expensive, or underpowered. Some are comparing it against bulky gaming laptops, while others are comparing it to cheap ultrabooks.

Another group are those that are shopping for way more computer than they need; they are asking for 32GB RAM, 2TB storage, dGPU, etc...while they probably can do with the base 13". And of course these also subsequently complain that the one they want is too expensive.

Yea. You're right.

The consumerism is a strange phenomenom.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

It's their right to complain and spend their money as they see fit. There will always be a class of people who deride and feel superior to those with a lust for materialism. That is the right of that class too, I guess, but you have to wonder why the tut-tutters don't have anything else to do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.