Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Summary

Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Geekbench 2.1.4 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 4967
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 10436
Memory Memory performance 3630
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 3791
Geekbench Score: 6496

So I just did a GeekBench on my 15'' MBP 3.06 C2D with 4GB and got a score of 4223. I wonder if with 8GB the i5 could get closer to 7000. Can't wait to see what the i7 will get. If it is a significant difference I might have to consider just going with the i7 off the bat!

invisionblue

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
My current gateway laptop gets 1323 at benchmark lol. I ordered an i5 with 8gb of ram so it looks like it's going to be a pretty exciting switch.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Im on a similar bet... currently using a 5 year old P4 dell which scores 1500 on geekbench... looking to get an i7 with 8 GB RAM, it should be like night and day...

madwolf

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2009
Wolfman might I suggest you save and buy a real Mac. Then you won't have to beg those of us who spend our hard earned money to support the real mothershp in helping you tweak your hack-a-mac.
My dear friend, I do have a macbook and a mac pro. I just needed some hardware info from the new i5 macs. Well, you're such a helpful bunch that I'll have to wait until they'll appear at my local Apple Store. I wasn't begging, just politely asking. If it sounded like begging then I'm sorry, it wasn't meant to. I'm not a native english speaker.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
My dear friend, I do have a macbook and a mac pro. I just needed some hardware info from the new i5 macs. Well, you're such a helpful bunch that I'll have to wait until they'll appear at my local Apple Store. I wasn't begging, just politely asking. If it sounded like begging then I'm sorry, it wasn't meant to. I'm not a native english speaker.

You just have to know that people are skeptical in this day and age due to all the scams. If there is a piece of data that you need, ask the OP nicely and tell them the info you need. If they think you are a nice guy and have the time, I'm sure they will help you out. But just stating that you basically want all of the info from the system, makes me wonder what your objective is. :rolleyes:

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Im on a similar bet... currently using a 5 year old P4 dell which scores 1500 on geekbench... looking to get an i7 with 8 GB RAM, it should be like night and day...

Wow, I can't wait to hear about your difference once you get your new system running. You'll be able to do things you never could on your old system!

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Great stuff on the benchmarks! 6500 was around where I thought an i5 imac would be. i7 will be around 7500 I'm assuming, according to most geekbench scores of other 860/920 systems. It could go even higher, like up to 8000 if the computer isn't bottlenecked that badly.

My old G5 iMac gets 1200 on geekbench, I will be eagerly awaiting an i7 upgrade.

It's great to know it runs quietly without much heat problems, but I do have a request.

Can you tell us the temperature the cpu gets under stress? I use iStat pro widget:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/istatpro.html

My old G5 processor hovers around 73 degrees Celsius according to this little widget and it's constantly under stress haha; so I'm wondering what yours does under stress?

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA

10-4 Wolfy I truly do not intend to come off as one of the many ******s on any given internet forum. Just that whole hack-a-mac thing is a sore point for me for personal reasons. Couple that with asking a fairly new member to run some term dumps for your on his/her machine and I wondered "who does this guy think he is?" quite honestly. ;) Although I don't personally agree with Hackintosh's in any form or fashion, it is nice to hear you have some legit Macs as well and have paid your share. For what its worth your English seems fine.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Summary
Section Description Score Geekbench Score
Geekbench 2.1.4 for Mac OS X x86 (32-bit)
Integer Processor integer performance 4967
Floating Point Processor floating point performance 10436
Memory Memory performance 3630
Stream Memory bandwidth performance 3791
Geekbench Score: 6496

Thank you! Core i7 Owners please post the same once arrives!

LondonGooner

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
OP thanks for the thread.
And a WoW Player!

If it's not too much trouble;
How is WoW with the new mouse? Playable?
Whats the FPS (especially in say Dalaran or a even a raid) in OSX (and in Bootcamp)?
Overall how does WoW look on the large monitor?

I'm getting an i7 and this would be really useful information as WoW is the main thing I do on my Macbook (12 hours on weekends type addiction lol).

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
These iMacs do not run 920s they run either 750s or 860s.

That is most likely a hackintosh or an error on geekbench's behalf of identifying a computer.

sgnhh

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2009
Can you give some information about the graphics card? Specifically, the device ID of the graphics card. Information can be found in System Profiler under Graphics/Displays.

Carressa

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
OP thanks for the thread.
And a WoW Player!

If it's not too much trouble;
How is WoW with the new mouse? Playable?
Whats the FPS (especially in say Dalaran or a even a raid) in OSX (and in Bootcamp)?
Overall how does WoW look on the large monitor?

Well I went to Dalaran cranked everything to MAX and ran through town like a crazy DE! I took fps samples as I ran and never went below 30 fps...Now that may not seem very good but town was completely packed wall to wall and I didn't back off any of the settings so I was very very pleased. Never hitched even once. It gave me a happy tingly feeling it looks amazing!:) I haven't tried it in bootcamp yet as I usually run WoW on the Mac side.
Now the mouse....well it gave me a bit of trouble but keep in mind I usually use a trackball so the mice trip me up a bit. I played with some of the settings and found I could navigate around fine with the new mouse.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Hi Carressa! Thanks for sharing with us those great photos and benchmark info! Just a question.

Have you started using your iMac with programs that really works the CPU like browsing flash or watching hi-res video? How is the temperature of your iMac, does it get hot under stress?

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Carressa, I think many of us would like to know if the GPU is a mobile or desktop version. Is that something that would come up under system profiler?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.