Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
pdpfilms said:
Good call. I thought there must've been a better way to get projects into FCP. I would've done that... there's really no advantage to exporting and reimporting.

How about importing the pictures straight into FCP? or did you had to use motion for some effects? Did use motion 2?

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
that was a really cool video. I know nothing about video editing or anything, but it was definitely cool.

my friend goes to NYU, he's graduating this spring, i'll show him that i think he'll like it. He's a big documentary guy, always using FCP on his PB.

sebisworld

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
That's like so cool. Could you publish a version with higher resolution, though? I just really like it. I'd provide webspace if that's an issue.

Good luck with the application.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I imported into motion mainly because i had not yet installed FCP on my PB. But I'm almost positive importing a set of images into FCP does not make them a singel image sequence, but imports them all individually and thus you would have to drag each one into sequence and set it to be one frame. Also, I wanted to make use of Motion's superior vignette tool.

I suppose I could've color corrected at only one point in the movie, but I decided to start with doing it scene-by-scene in motion, and then I realized i still needed to tweak it a little bit in FCP.

My buddy's a professional skier.. the 'do is in right now. And he's not single.. sorry, Gary.

The snow... you're the first person to ask. We filmed one day, ran out of light, and then I went away for two weeks. We finished when I got back, after it had rained the snow away. I was pretty bummed about that.

MacsomJRR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2003
San Diego
That was so cool. Nice job.

Pefect music choice and really wonderful cinematography. Kinda made me feel good inside:) I want to live there! Los Angeles sucks.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
cb911 said:
looks good! nice work. :D

definitely some cool things you can do with real life stop motion.

you didn't happen to see that new PlayStation commercial did you? ;) i just happened to blog about it eariler in the month. :D
In fact, that was the inspiration. My future dream job is to work at The Mill, and i just happened to stumble across the playstation spot in their archives.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Really cool

Don't have much to add to the conversation, except to say Great Work! I love the creativity of the folks on this site.

-alywa

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
iGary said:
Your friend is cute. Is he single?

Are you, because I was under the impression that you weren't (i don't actually know what smiley to put here!)

Oh yeah, and about the vid,

I love the glass filling with water, but the cows were my favourite part, because they came over to watch him.

Sufjan is the shiz as well. I just started listening to him.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
pdpfilms said:
In fact, that was the inspiration. My future dream job is to work at The Mill, and i just happened to stumble across the playstation spot in their archives.

I like your video much better than the one from the Mill.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
Wow. I'm jealous. Wonderful work. How did you come up with that idea? Just pop into your head, or was there some sort of inspiration?

I ask because I often find myself making my movie shorts more complicated than they need to be. Something like this, I would not have thought of doing for a million years, but its beautiful, thought provoking, holds your attention, and simple at the same time. Fantastic piece of art.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Counterfit said:
tell your buddy to get a haircut. :p

I second that.

Also if you could find a version of that song without the singing. A lovely sounding song until the voice comes in. I personally found it distracting.
Scripting an ending would be nice otherwise it just looks unfinished...

besides those points its a homerun!

heaven

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
I loved that video! That was really some amazing work of art you did there! Congrats, you have really made something veeeeeeery nice!
Thank you for sharing, that makes me want to go and play with my cam now :D

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Thanks again, everybody.

The ending is unfinished. We unfortunately ran out of light that day too... I had planned much more for the short including shots in the chair, but we just didn't have enough time. And the next day I was flying out to school.

For the most part, the concept for this just popped into my head. As I spent more and more time thinking about it, I refined a concept, singling out what kind of things would be visually pleasing and what wouldn't. All it takes is lots of thinking about it, and listening to music at the same time always helps me... my thoughts kind of follow the song.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That is brilliant! you got across exactly what I've bee thinking since I got my dSLR camera! I've been thinking for a while that using that technique its entirely possible to make a 1080p video without a HD Camcorder.

good one man. I'm inspired! now I know its possible to do a film like this. good work. very good work!

ps. love the house. I've only seen up to the part where you go downstairs but wow. thats like my dream house haha. I love wooden interiors and those odd shaped ceilings and different levels. *envy*

UberMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2005
England
That's quite possibly the BEST thing I've seen recently - it will shortly make the rounds on my iPod being shown to all of my video/imaging aspiring friends! You deserve a medal!

In fact...
images

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
This is probably one of the best short movies I've seen... maybe one of the best movies :eek:

Very well done and creative... even though you were inspired by The Mill. I think now you've inspired me and I want to try something like that :) I love the music too. Very good.

bunner

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2006
Great start

This technique has always been very fascinating to me. It's almost like a dream world,- the motion and movement. Although, the technique has been around for more than 50 years, search for Canadian animation pioneer Norman McLaren, "Neighbours (1952)". Its a process referred to as pixelation animation. animating real people in stop motion style. That's what you'll want to research if this interests you in future projects like this. You did a good job with it, technical execution -and it plays well. Now, all you need is a great story and attempt a short film. ;)
btw what digital camera did you use. canon digital rebel? I have that one, and have done tests pixelating subjects, but never attempted one as long as yours. What size cf card, and did you have to bring a laptop along to offload all the pictures. you're right, the great thing about these digital cameras is that they always number in sequential order which, without out, i can't imagine sorting all those frames. :)

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Actually, I thought the lack of snow at the end was intentional. After he rolls the snow ball around, suddenly the snow disappears. Follows the logic of your strange little world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.