Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I took the caf files from var/mobile/audiorecorder and dropped them in audacity for testing.

o.k.

Stay tuned - I'm absolutely sure I can come up with an on-iPhone automatic converter. You only tap the icon on your iPhone and it does all the magic - no Audacity needed for slowing down. Starting coding now.

At the same time, I may also code an app that automatically converts the in/out files to a stereo one so that no info is lost.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Stay tuned - I'm absolutely sure I can come up with an on-iPhone automatic converter. You only tap the icon on your iPhone and it does all the magic - no Audacity needed for slowing down. Starting coding now.

Yes, the first results are promising. Hopefully I'll be able to release the entire app today.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Yes, the first results are promising. Hopefully I'll be able to release the entire app today.

OK guys, here it is.

Source code: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/012014/05-recorderno44khz/Change44kHzCAFsTo8kHzOnes.zip

It can be directly compiled and deployed to an iPhone. As /var/mobile/Documents/AudioRecorder/ (the directory of the recorded files) is owned by mobile, you can directly change the files in the app even from an app deployed from Xcode. This also means no owner / permission changes need to be done anywhere in the file system - as opposed to, say, my full-sensor iPhone 5 / 5s video tweak overwriting a, by default, root-owned file.

If you can't deploy Xcode projects, DEB file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...obiletech.callrecbtfixer_1.0_iphoneos-arm.deb

And, finally, I've also published it in my Cydia repo:

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0020.jpeg

How does it work? (Programmers only!)

Given that CAF files produced by the app are very simple, instead of heavyweight, CPU-taxing full reencodes, I could just go the lightweight direct file patching method.

With the (buggy) 44.1 kHz files, at position $15, the three bytes contain "E5 88 80". These are to be changed to "BF 40 00" (8 kHz). This is very easy with the standard C file handler functions. (Note: I could have gone the Objective-C-based "let's read in the entire file to an NSData*, change it and write it back" way, but it would have required much more runtime memory, particularly with large files.)

With all these, my code is as follows (where "label" is an outlet to a label on the screen to show the user the number of CAF files / the nr. of changed ones):
Code:
    NSString* parentDir = @"/var/mobile/Documents/AudioRecorder/";
    NSArray* dirContents = [[NSFileManager defaultManager] contentsOfDirectoryAtPath:parentDir error:nil];
    int nrOfFilesUpdated = 0;
    int nrOfOrigCAFFiles = 0;
    for (NSString* currFile in dirContents)
    {
        if(![currFile hasSuffix:@".caf"]) continue;
        nrOfOrigCAFFiles++;
        NSString* fullPathToCurrFile = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@%@", parentDir, currFile];
        FILE * f = fopen([fullPathToCurrFile UTF8String], "r+");
        fseek(f, 21, 1);
        char * buffer = (char*) malloc (3);
        fread (buffer,1, 3, f);
        NSLog(@"%@: %02x%02x%02x", currFile, (unsigned char)buffer[0],(unsigned char)buffer[1],(unsigned char)buffer[2]);
        if ((unsigned char)buffer[0]==0xE5  && (unsigned char)buffer[1]==0x88  && (unsigned char)buffer[2]==0x80)
        {
             rewind (f);
             fseek(f, 21, 1);
             buffer[0]=0xBF;
             buffer[1]=0x40;
             buffer[2]=0x00;
             fwrite(buffer, 1, 3, f);
             nrOfFilesUpdated++;
        }
        fclose (f);
    } // for
    label.text = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%i file updated out of %i", nrOfFilesUpdated, nrOfOrigCAFFiles];

----------

Updated the OP to reflect the changes.

coco135

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
stop messing around. 'sound recorder' by hacX works wayyyy better
cost 2.99!

So much better than 'Audio recorder'.
Works way better on iphone 5 7.0.4 and more features. voice changer, quick memo recording and works perfect with activator AND NO WARNINGS, no phone app getting stuck or any of the other issues with the limneos app.

i found it today and glad i did ;)
cydia repo...
hacx.org/repo

And no i am not affiliated with the developer.

See it in action here...
http://youtu.be/EG6otyBsY94

---EDIT---
now that issues with AudioRecorder have been fixed by the dev and with the great contribution of Menneisyys2 i can safely say that AudioRecorder is a more reliable option than Super recorder

Last edited:

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
cost 2.99!

Works way better on iphone 5 7.0.4 and more features. voice changer, quick memo recording and works perfect with activator AND NO WARNINGS, no phone app getting stuck or any of the other issues with the limneos app.

cydia repo...
hacx.org/repo

See it in action here...

Nice, thanks for the awesome video!

Update: Tried this program out and all the recordings it makes playback at such a high rate of speed they are unusable. E-mailed the dev, we'll see what happens. I decided to go with this program since they have a working Cydia repo and I like the bundled audio level booster.

Update 2: Dev provided a secret repo with a beta version that works just fine. Maybe he'll update the main repo with this version.

Love the features on this: volume and mic boost, archive recordings to ipod, archive to email, also access via IP to the phone. This is the sweetness.

Last edited:

Digital.yemeni

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
although i bought the tweak but it did not work in my new 5S phone! i re-spring, reboot, remove, re-install, but nothing shows up the recording folder! only the SQL 0 byte file shows up!

Anyone have similar issue or solution to this?

Thanks!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
although i bought the tweak but it did not work in my new 5S phone! i re-spring, reboot, remove, re-install, but nothing shows up the recording folder! only the SQL 0 byte file shows up!

Anyone have similar issue or solution to this?

Thanks!

Did you push the red record button during a call (in manual mode) ?

Works perfectly on my 5S

Digital.yemeni

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
yes the recording button is glowing and i can hear the warning of the recording but nothing gets recorded!!

i contacted the developer but no response! sometimes they force you to go look for crack versions so you won't feel sorry for yourself begging them for some support to fix a bug!!

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
yes the recording button is glowing and i can hear the warning of the recording but nothing gets recorded!!

i contacted the developer but no response! sometimes they force you to go look for crack versions so you won't feel sorry for yourself begging them for some support to fix a bug!!

Now that the app is activated on your phone, give a try to my muted version. Does it do the same?

wiiwaker

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
cost 2.99!

cydia repo...
hacx.org/repo

See it in action here...

Can this sound recorder record phone calls via wired headset?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
cost 2.99!

cydia repo...
hacx.org/repo

See it in action here...

Thanks for the heads-up! I wish I had known of this when it was on sale for $1... nevertheless, I've immediately purchased it - and have been waiting for the activation code since then.

As soon as I receive it, I post more, including a version of the installer without Activator. (The latter is incompatible with 7.1b2 and, as it's not needed for the app, it can safely be removed from the system. Now that the new recorder is dependent on it, the latter can't be kept in the system without removing Activator only.)

Digital.yemeni

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
Now that the app is activated on your phone, give a try to my muted version. Does it do the same?

In fact, after removing it and installing your DEB package that when it stoped working! i removed yours and put the original one but still same result since then!! :(

Is there any log file that i can look at to identify if something is missing? permission maybe not set correctly for the folder(s)?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
In fact, after removing it and installing your DEB package that when it stoped working! i removed yours and put the original one but still same result since then!! :(

Is there any log file that i can look at to identify if something is missing? permission maybe not set correctly for the folder(s)?

Dunno. Try a full factory restore maybe?

Digital.yemeni

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2014
Dunno. Try a full factory restore maybe?

oh nooo! :) i bought Super Recorder already! let this one go to hell! :)
also Super Recorder if i reboot my phone it does not record until i open the App and toggle the Record ALL on/off!

bugs and insects are everywhere nowadays! hhahahaha

UPDATE:
It just worked when i made it Manually! ;-)

Last edited:

coco135

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Can this sound recorder record phone calls via wired headset?

Don't know will test and let you know

Thanks for the heads-up! I wish I had known of this when it was on sale for $1... nevertheless, I've immediately purchased it - and have been waiting for the activation code since then.

As soon as I receive it, I post more, including a version of the installer without Activator. (The latter is incompatible with 7.1b2 and, as it's not needed for the app, it can safely be removed from the system. Now that the new recorder is dependent on it, the latter can't be kept in the system without removing Activator only.)

weird, i got my activation code after 30 sec

oh nooo! :) i bought Super Recorder already! let this one go to hell! :)
also Super Recorder if i reboot my phone it does not record until i open the App and toggle the Record ALL on/off!

bugs and insects are everywhere nowadays! hhahahaha

UPDATE:
It just worked when i made it Manually! ;-)

Sorry you have those bugs. for me it was most important to get rid of the issue with the 2nd call and phone getting stuck.

the app works for me great but i did noticed an issue with bluetooth. so i guess, if you want a bugless app...just wait a bit longer.

I will update if a fix comes up

maccis

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
One of the best forum threads in a long time.
Really many thanks for your help and quick response to every question we have.

Looking forward to your test of sound recorder.

Best regards.
Martin

maccis

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
super recorder

Just bought it, and my first impression is that it is a little better streamlined.

Gonna try it for a while and if anyone have any questions about it feel free to drop me a note.

And if anyone know where it stores its files please tell me.
Looked everywhere it feels like with ifile and cant find them

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Yup, a mail server error on my part... now, I have to patiently wait until it arrives...

Mail server expired. Just sent a mail to the hacx folks to mail me the activation code to another address. Hope I get it quickly. Then, I can also test the Activator-less DEB file I've prepared for 7.1b2 users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.