Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
No I am talking about Google Play , I googled it. If you are outside America you miss on USA specific apps. It happened with Amazon Kindle of all things with me.

Ok, well I can only confirm that Kindle is present and correct on Google Play, in the UK, on my Note 2 and also on my old HTC Hero. It was one of the first things I installed. You'll probably find some Apps actively blocked because the services they use aren't available in the UK for licensing reasons (somebody mentioned Pandora?). I'm sure the same applies to Apple.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I am comparing Android to my iPad iOS , and criticizing Galaxy S3. A friend of mine had an S3 around and I asked to test it out for a few days.

I'm generally leery of reviews that only cover "a few days" of use. It took me more than a few days to get to appreciate the WebOS philosophy of working, for example, and it's taken me even longer to understand the best ways (for me) to interact with Android in the most advantageous manner.

That said, oh boy, do I agree with this hardware design observation:

If you hold the phone from the sides(not normal grip) you will either hit the volume buttons or the "on/off" buttons. So this phone you should keep holding it very delicately .

Half the time that I turn on my Nexus, I manage to turn down the volume at the same time.

Any phone built like this, with the power and volume buttons either directly opposite or directly adjacent to each other, drives me crazy.

I prefer a large power button put somewhere else (top, back) that's easy to hit when wished, but otherwise out of the way.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
This was what I was trying to clarify with the OP about kindle, not sure what countries don't have kindle service, but perhaps he is one of them

Good point on media apps, I can think of a few that are only for UK now

Not tried spotify app, it is available, but I only have the free version so app is no good for me

http://www.hacktik.com/access-blocked-content-of-google-play-from-outside-usa.html/

http://www.cactusvpn.com/vpn/access-google-play-uk-vpn-service/

This is basically is telling me "Oh ...you cant buy, go pirate"

Many countries are restricted to its own content. For example, I believe Hulu is a US only. So if you are from UK you cant access it. There is a lot similar to this stuff.

The difference between iTunes approach and Google Play is that iTunes allow you to register as if you are in the USA if you have USA credit card . Google play uses IP address, how do I know this? because when I used a VPN I accessed all the USA's apps . What if I was an American traveling ?

btw, if you don't know this, I am complaining about this because outside USA Google Play/iTunes store are extremely limited in apps. What do you think is available on Bhutan's or Mongolia's Google Play/iTunes store?

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I'm generally leery of reviews that only cover "a few days" of use. It took me more than a few days to get to appreciate the WebOS philosophy of working, for example, and it's taken me even longer to understand the best ways (for me) to interact with Android in the most advantageous manner.

I think I am tech savvy enough to know what to test .I've been online daily for about 15 years now.
I understand when you say I need more time to appreciate the Android device. Trust me I do appreciate its capabilities. I came out having a positive opinion about it, and if in the future they fix its issues consider me a happy buyer.

#1 issue for me is that I hate computer devices that lets you constantly fiddle around just to get on with your life. Thats why I switched from Windows to mac. On windows you spend more time setting up and fixing than using the computer. I have been using Mac for 10 years now I am still not sure whats in the System preferences...thats a good thing because I hardly go there or need to. I can the same about the iPad which I have now for about 2 years. When I got the Android I kept going back to the settings to figure things out...and sometimes it did NOT figure out like transferring files to a mac (Only the richest company in the world) .

Android should go with an Apple approach. Google Play apps should be monitored like Apple apps, but with the option to download from other stores like OS X App Store. Also they should work with specific manufacturers to make sure of best software+hardware compatibility. The "take and do whatever you want with it" is not a good business idea. This is exactly what Linux have been doing for the last 15 years, its still didnt pick up as a competitor for Windows or Mac...hahaha even though its FREE yet OS X and Windows is to be paid for!

Also the regulating and monitoring approach is the reason more people are making Ubuntu popular choice, they are concentrating on one flavor and making the best out of it to work and have enough support.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think I am tech savvy enough to know what to test .I've been online daily for about 15 years now.
I understand when you say I need more time to appreciate the Android device. Trust me I do appreciate its capabilities. I came out having a positive opinion about it, and if in the future they fix its issues consider me a happy buyer.

#1 issue for me is that I hate computer devices that lets you constantly fiddle around just to get on with your life. Thats why I switched from Windows to mac. On windows you spend more time setting up and fixing than using the computer. I have been using Mac for 10 years now I am still not sure whats in the System preferences...thats a good thing because I hardly go there or need to. I can the same about the iPad which I have now for about 2 years. When I got the Android I kept going back to the settings to figure things out...and sometimes it did NOT figure out like transferring files to a mac (Only the richest company in the world) .

Android should go with an Apple approach. Google Play apps should be monitored like Apple apps, but with the option to download from other stores like OS X App Store. Also they should work with specific manufacturers to make sure of best software+hardware compatibility. The "take and do whatever you want with it" is not a good business idea. This is exactly what Linux have been doing for the last 15 years, its still didnt pick up as a competitor for Windows or Mac...hahaha even though its FREE yet OS X and Windows is to be paid for!

Also the regulating and monitoring approach is the reason more people are making Ubuntu popular choice, they are concentrating on one flavor and making the best out of it to work and have enough support.

This statement tells me your not tech savvy at all. No offense intended.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011

Well if you had to spend lot of time "setting up and fixing" i guess you where doing stuff you didnt know about :)

Seems to your a follower, nothing wrong with that but i dont think you should mention your a tech savy :eek: if you didnt know how transfer a files in and out of a android device.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Many countries are restricted to its own content. For example, I believe Hulu is a US only. So if you are from UK you cant access it. There is a lot similar to this stuff.

Then you should be blaming the service/developer

This is not an Android problem

Have you got any examples that are no regional based media apps

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Well if you had to spend lot of time "setting up and fixing" i guess you where doing stuff you didnt know about :)

Seems to your a follower, nothing wrong with that but i dont think you should mention your a tech savy :eek: if you didnt know how transfer a files in and out of a android device.

He happens to be right about this particular thing. On the S2 it's a simple matter but the S3 cannot be connected as a storage device. The S3 supports MTP and PTP which isn't supported by OS X as a way to access the data on the phone. It works on Windows, though.

So you can blame Apple for not implementing MTP and you can blame Samsung for leaving out a particurlarly useful feature.

Related link: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...behind-galaxy-nexus-lack-of-usb-mass-storage/

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
He happens to be right about this particular thing. On the S2 it's a simple matter but the S3 cannot be connected as a storage device. The S3 supports MTP and PTP which isn't supported by OS X as a way to access the data on the phone. It works on Windows, though.

So you can blame Apple for not implementing MTP and you can blame Samsung for leaving out a particurlarly useful feature.

Related link: http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...behind-galaxy-nexus-lack-of-usb-mass-storage/

in PTP I see the phones can be used in iPhoto, maybe there's another way to get to their storage? (aside from DoubleTwist AirSync)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Well thats apple problem, when you plug something on Mac its 90% you have to download some stuff or drivers etc

Samsung problem too aswell; anyway i apologize to the person :) accordinh to MR my post was "frivolous"

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008

Yes , because a linux user can set it up as he likes it in 60 seconds right?
Even if you know what you are doing, it takes time to set things up dont lie to yourself.

As for transferring files, if I :
1) Connected the device to my computer
2)Chose the 2 different methods of transferring the files
3)Downloaded the Android official app to transfer files to mac
4)Researched its step by step process to make it work
5)adjusted the settings in the phone

and yet it still didnt not transfer the files , I guess the Android is very user friendly, its my problem I dont know how to write custom software and then compile it just so I can transfer some files from my computer to my phone.

Even my lousy Blackberry can do this...its called plug and play.

----------

Then you should be blaming the service/developer

This is not an Android problem

Have you got any examples that are no regional based media apps

it is not problem with the OS , that is true , but its something you have to keep your eye opened for when purchasing an Android device. Believe it or not, there are 6.7 billion people outside the US , and they do use smart phones.

I am not sure what non media apps are US only, but I thought Android was on the opposite of iTunes. While Apple was so restrictive about what you can put on the iTunes store in a very controlled environment (not even emulation is allowed) I thought Android was on the other end of the spectrum where it is a free for all.

Seems Android has restrictions too.

----------

Well thats apple problem, when you plug something on Mac its 90% you have to download some stuff or drivers etc

I am not sure what you are talking about. I have been using mac daily for 10 years , I never had to download any drivers to make any thing work. Everything was plug and play... S3 was the only device that did not work AT ALL even thought I did download the official app for it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
But again really you can't use those arguments against android specifically because if your not in that country they don't work or even appear on the iOS devices either, or in those App Store or Google Play stores.

What if those features/apps are like Siri ,iCloud?, or maps? Would u say its an argument against iOS if it works only IN America?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Design is of personal preference. I've been using the GS3 in the "real world" for the past 3 months and have no problems. Nor do I have any problems using one handed operation, although any size bigger might be a problem.

Did you receive the GS3 stock condition? Meaning with factory settings. I ask cause I never have any problems with swift keyboard or 95% of the apps I've tried.

I'm not buying that you can see pixels. I have excellent eye sight and no matter how hard I try, I can't see pixels.

Ive never had Swiftkey crash on me...EVER, on either of my Android phones i had. I dont have an issue hitting the buttons on the bottom when i dont want to. Maybe its just thats guys problem which shouldnt mean it is a GS3 problem.

As for the screen and him seeing pixels, ...i call BS as well.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What if those features/apps are like Siri ,iCloud?, or maps? Would u say its an argument against iOS if it works only IN America?

But what are the CORE apps on Android ONLY work in America, you failed to mention any. We had to guess what apps you were talking about.

But in regards to likes of Siri, iCloud & new Maps.

Siri is next to useless for me with local searches unavailable and weather unsupported whenever I ask, and you can forget about Irish names or places she / he just craps out. iCloud is good, but I'd rather have my MobileMe & iDisk back, and lets forget the new Maps, because again for where I am it's lacklustre at best and next to useless, I just use Navigon now,

So yes there are plenty of users who miss out on features these core apps have because they are not fully supported in all countries.

That definetly could be used as an argument against iOS because these apps are core, and are marketed as apps that define iOS iPhone experience.

----------

Ive never had Swiftkey crash on me...EVER,

I've had it crash a number of times on different devices, with the usual stopped working message. It might be specific to dictionary / language pack setup but it certainly does crash now and again.

As for hitting buttons I've done it. I have hit the home button sometimes inadvertently when trying to type fast on swift key and instead of hitting spacebar i hit off the capacitive home button. Not a big problem but again it is entirely possible (this is on a One X not a GS3)

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I am not sure what non media apps are US only, but I thought Android was on the opposite of iTunes. While Apple was so restrictive about what you can put on the iTunes store in a very controlled environment (not even emulation is allowed) I thought Android was on the other end of the spectrum where it is a free for all.

Seems Android has restrictions too.

Would you prefer being allowed to download apps that are nonfunctional outside of the US?

Various media apps are restricted to the US by the publisher due to licensing issues. It makes no sense to put those apps in the international Google Play store. It's actually more user friendly to exclude them to avoid confusion.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
@macrumoruser

I do not know of any core Android apps that do not work outside US. I was trying to point out that , if a certain app or feature that does not WORK due to location its a negative point towards that OS/device like you said Siri is useless in Ireland, therefor its a negative thing towards the iOS

@MacSmurf

You do make a valid point about not putting an app that is location restricted available for download. But if you live outside the US you will know how this starts to get frustrating, soon a lot of things are US only.

All I will say is that many people here can get access to the iTunes store and do make purchases for music and video(not sure if illegal or legal given that you did pay for it) , but I cant say the same about Android unless you use VPN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.