Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Other than the larger screen, what is it specifically that you feel is missing from iphone?

I wish iPhone widgets were actually accessible. As it stands, there are a handful of built in apple widgets and that is all I can use. We saw then add some quick post widgets for twitter and Facebook in iOS 6 and that is all we have seen since its inception.

I would also like to be able to remove apps from the springboard. Junk folders are silly. So is newsstand.

If those two points were met I would be pretty darn happy, I think.

(I realize your question wasn't directed at me, but I thought if chine in anyway)

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
So you slate and dislike the iPhone 4/4S design, possibly one of the most gorgeous smartphone designs ever, yet loved the feel of a plastic, creaky, cheap Samsung S2/3?

Ok ...

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
So you slate and dislike the iPhone 4/4S design, possibly one of the most gorgeous smartphone designs ever, yet loved the feel of a plastic, creaky, cheap Samsung S2/3?

Ok ...

Its beautiful but is flawed, glass isn't a good material to primarily make a phone out of it shatters too easily. Apple fixed most of these issues with the 5.

buysp

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Very Happy iPhone 5 Customer

I'm into my 3rd day of my iPhone 5 and all I can say is that I'm glad I didn't go down the Nokia 920 or Sony Xperia path because I'm loving my ip5 screen size and speed increase. I came from a iPhone 4 and was getting disheartened by the iOS experience and the push for super sized screens.
My iP5 is a Marvell of engineering and I'm so happy with the extra 0.5inch increase, it makes all the difference in my subjective user experience.
Now I realise that no I don't want a 5 inch screen. Apple is right, its about experience and not the size of your ****! so to speak. I nearly fell for it and I'm glad I came to my senses and stayed.
Now for iOS 7 for the icing on the cake!

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I run a Galaxy Note 2, and iPhone 5 and a Nokia 620 on WP8. And while I love the big screen on the Note, I always find myself going back to my iPhone. And now that I have a WP8 phone I'd say that in terms of OS stability and slickness, I'd put Android at the bottom of the pile. As we know iPhone is silky smooth and easy to operate and now WP8 isn't far behind - apart from the app desert of course.

So I carry an iPhone and one of the Note or the 620. Much to my annoyance. I'm bored with iOS but I can't seem to drop it!

randomtask

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2010

Ok ...

I look at the iPhone 4 as akin to the iPod nano fatty. It's just ugly. However, perhaps I am spoilt by previous apple designs. The macbook air, ipod 3g, iphone to iphone 3gs, macbook pro (pre-unibody) etc etc are all simply works of art.

Also - I didn't love the plastic, creaky, cheap Samsung. I think the build quality is absolutely poor.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I look at the iPhone 4 as akin to the iPod nano fatty. It's just ugly. However, perhaps I am spoilt by previous apple designs. The macbook air, ipod 3g, iphone to iphone 3gs, macbook pro (pre-unibody) etc etc are all simply works of art.

Also - I didn't love the plastic, creaky, cheap Samsung. I think the build quality is absolutely poor.

In your opinion, perhaps, but I don't know how any sane person can look at the design of the iPhone 4 and 4S and say it's "just ugly". That's preposterous.

The 3G/3GS design was comfortable with it's plastic back, but that same back got scratched up extremely easy as did the awful chrome painted bezel which got scuffed within weeks and ended up needing brushed to look respectable. The 4/4S design is far more durable in terms of scuffing, but it's more fragile obviously due to being glass.

The phone I had for years prior to the release of the iPhone, now THAT is what you call ugly.

h1000.jpg

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I decided against an iPhone 4/4S because I didn't like the form factor, shape, design, really anything about it.

The iPhone 5 is basically the same form factor as the iPhone 4, only longer; IMO.

----------

In your opinion, perhaps, but I don't know how any sane person can look at the design of the iPhone 4 and 4S and say it's "just ugly". That's preposterous.

The 3G/3GS design was comfortable with it's plastic back, but that same back got scratched up extremely easy as did the awful chrome painted bezel which got scuffed within weeks and ended up needing brushed to look respectable. The 4/4S design is far more durable in terms of scuffing, but it's more fragile obviously due to being glass.

The phone I had for years prior to the release of the iPhone, now THAT is what you call ugly.

Lol, I used to want this phone so bad.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
You will never rip the Note 2 from my cold dead hands. Using my wife's iPhone 5 for about 10 minutes gives me large screen withdrawal pains.
The iPhone has it's place. My wife does not care about large screens, customizations, specs, removable batteries and sd cards. She likes it because apps are pretty and the interface is simple. I noticed that Apple users have basic requirements and this will be the reason why iOS 7 will not deviate from previous versions. The majority of Apple's target audience do not want to have a complex OS. I see Apple only dealing in pretty and simple. Just look at the camera app vs Samsungs/HTC's camera app; simple vs features.
My wife will most likely stay with Apple while I will stay with Android. As a hardcore Android user I did not have to bash Apple here. I would recommend Apple to anyone I see not having the tech skill or the need for a larger screen. I love driving stick-shift cars and motorcycles while others like automatics and scooters. I wouldn't recommend a stick shift or motorcycle to my wife. And I wouldn't recommend Android to everyone.

ALL this iphone is simple stuff is really overstated.

IOS is no easier than android now. It's very simplistic, even simpler than iOS.

But you also get features with your simplicity. Contrary to popular belief on here, features DO NOT = complexity. Android DOES NOT require tinkering. My mother has the s3 and she doesn't tinker at all, simple user and just uses it for phone, Web, and the app store here and there.

No tinkering

Iphone has its place no doubt, but it's perceived simplicity made it a huge hit among the non technical. I noticed 9 out of 10 tech people have an android is done flavor. The non tech go with iphones because their trendy. Everyone isn't tech, so apple is doomed talks are full of crap. Apple isn't going anywhere, i just find it strange that you can do whatever you want on a Mac, but instead of keeping simplicity and offering options like on osx, they limit you on ios.

Would have been great if they ran ios like osx

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I can't imagine having lasted that long away from the iPhone. I spent the last two months away and I honestly think I am just done trying other OS's. I used a nexus 4 for about a month followed by a lumia 920 for just short of a month and they both had great things about them. However they just couldn't replace the iphone for my uses so I am back to the 5 and am just going to keep an eye on what apple do and continue to stick with them. I have high hopes for iOS7 (probably too high) but for the most part I am very happy with how things are right now.

I may jailbreak every once in a while just to change things up and play around, but iOS is best for me it seems.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
I have a slew of phones and really bounce back and fourth between ios and Android. I happen to like them both and own what I consider each of OS's best devices...the iphone 5 and nexus 4.

If I had to choose between my i5 and n4, I'd go with the i5...it's been my favorite phone for a while now, love the size and shape and just feel like its a pleasure to use.

I tried the HTC ONE yesterday and was actually prepared to buy it going in, but ended up leaving the store empty handed because I just couldn't see me liking a sense driven device when compared to my vanilla nexus and beautiful iphone 5...Yes it does try very hard to be an iphone 5 with the metal and chamfered sides. But it's not...lol

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Agreed. It offers you much more options, but then you enter the paradox of choice territory where things just get really messy and you have to switch on your brain to navigate your way out.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
What exactly about android is "overly complicated?" Just because the options are there to customize things it doesn't mean you have to touch any of them. Would you prefer there were no options?

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
I left the Apple phone eco-sphere after I changed from iPhone 3GS to a Samsung galaxy s2, back in early 2011. I decided against an iPhone 4/4S because I didn't like the form factor, shape, design, really anything about it. I thought and still think the iPhone 4 is a bad design.

I moved to the Galaxy S2 (and then S3), which I have used consistently for 2 years - I thought it was good. I convinced myself it was superior to the Apple iPhone. I have been telling people - evangelising even - that Apple was over. That the iOS was dated and inferior to Android. A little background about me - I used to be a software engineer by trade. I'm not completely technologically illiterate basically.

My thoughts, having gotten an iphone 5 again recently. It is simply superior in every way to Android (Samsung flavours). Android OS is overly engineered and overly complicated. I think the UI design is just poor. It's too busy.

Samsung phones are significantly worse in build quality - so much so that it is incomparable.

My Samsung phones came stuff full of crap akin to Windows PCs of the late 2000's. 'Samsung app store' 'Samsung social network' 'Media Centre' etc etc tons of junk you don't want and don't need. It's like having 'news stand' 100 times over. And you can't delete it. It's like having AOL on your computer and being unable to remove it.

The apple support is second to none. I missed this especially. If something goes wrong with a Samsung phone - good luck. Post it off? Contact your cell provider? With apple - go to the shop. They will just replace it (in my experience, this may have changed recently?).

Yes there are bad points - apple accessories are over-priced. Yes, the company has a walled garden ecosystem. But in my opinion, the iPhone is the best phone on the market.

The screen dimensions of the iPhone 5 are perfect for me. I love the shape of the phone and will be disappointed if they follow akin to the S3/S4/Note style that in my opinion is far far too big for a portable device.

There may be reasons to get an android device. Perhaps I am not in their target demographic - I call, send messages & emails, use the internet and listen to music. That is all - and for that set of purposes iPhone is unbeatable.

Cheers.

Are you just telling yourself that? If you went away from the iPhone twice, must have been because you weren't satisfied. Oh and I can argue your build quality statement. How many cracked iPhone screens have you seen over the years? I have seen dozens of friends with cracked screens. Can only think of ONE Galaxy phone I have seen cracked and thats because it was thrown haha. Also, my iPhone 5 just developed black spots on its cameras sensor, out of nowhere. Google it and you will see its a fairly common problem. I have owned many phones and never had an issue like this, even with a cheap Android phone.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Are you just telling yourself that? If you went away from the iPhone twice, must have been because you weren't satisfied. Oh and I can argue your build quality statement. How many cracked iPhone screens have you seen over the years? I have seen dozens of friends with cracked screens. Can only think of ONE Galaxy phone I have seen cracked and thats because it was thrown haha. Also, my iPhone 5 just developed black spots on its cameras sensor, out of nowhere. Google it and you will see its a fairly common problem. I have owned many phones and never had an issue like this, even with a cheap Android phone.

U mad

johnjefferson

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2013
Refurbished POS? surely you jest... there is no way you can tell a refurb from a new unit side by side.

Problem is that I sell my phones. Anyone who knows iPhones can easily tell if its refurbished by its serial number and believe me, they check. Refurbs never bring in nearly as much money.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks for the OP's comment. I'm quite fed up with Samsung fanatics telling me how Apple is doomed and how they are going to buy the S4. You know, like a religion. Of course I'd smile and said, "sure, why not."

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
You will never rip the Note 2 from my cold dead hands. Using my wife's iPhone 5 for about 10 minutes gives me large screen withdrawal pains.
The iPhone has it's place. My wife does not care about large screens, customizations, specs, removable batteries and sd cards. She likes it because apps are pretty and the interface is simple. I noticed that Apple users have basic requirements and this will be the reason why iOS 7 will not deviate from previous versions. The majority of Apple's target audience do not want to have a complex OS. I see Apple only dealing in pretty and simple. Just look at the camera app vs Samsungs/HTC's camera app; simple vs features.

Just look at the 'results' from the cameras. iPhone 4S/5 with its simplicity easily meets or beats any of those Sammy or HTC phones on the maket. I believe you're confused about OS simplicity. The more 'simple' the OS, the more complicated the coding and foundation/depth of the core software to run such a 'simple' and fluid UI. You're wife sounds like a smart gal. While I enjoy both OS'es (I own a Note original and the iPhone 5), I would absolutely never argue that Apple users are only after 'pretty' and 'simple'. Bands have recorded albums on iOS. Photographers have opened international photography studios using their cameras...holiday shopping had increased by billions of dollars because, and primarily because of iOS (much more purchasing done from iOS in comparison to Android). And the apps! Music creation....essentially no such thing on Android. Video creation....endless creative production possibilities with apps and a development community BEHIND those apps that are active, brilliant, and making real cash. Android lags in this area. It's sad. But true. Again, I'm a Note owner...have been for over a year. It's really really sad the 6 or 7 apps of 800,000 that work with my 'S Pen'. Oh yeah, where in the hell is my Jelly Bean update?

ALL this iphone is simple stuff is really overstated.

IOS is no easier than android now. It's very simplistic, even simpler than iOS.

But you also get features with your simplicity. Contrary to popular belief on here, features DO NOT = complexity. Android DOES NOT require tinkering....

No tinkering

Iphone has its place no doubt, but it's perceived simplicity made it a huge hit among the non technical. I noticed 9 out of 10 tech people have an android is done flavor. The non tech go with iphones because their trendy. Everyone isn't tech, so apple is doomed talks are full of crap. Apple isn't going anywhere, i just find it strange...

You're fibbing;). The...I'll call it 'challenge' with Android isn't so much the options and customizability...but the little problems that creep up. A legitimate app sucking battery life...having to remember to turn Bluetooth off or GPS off or wifi off,...you see where I'm going. My galaxy note is literally at 50% with 0 usage by noon if I forget to turn those options off when I'm mobile! Random rebooting....or challenging messaging/voicemail options when someone needs to decide between the carrier, the manufacturers or third parties. Apps...legitimate apps from the 'Play Store' that insist on constantly running in the background. Facebook for instance. There are methods to Apple's madness I've found being an ambidextrous user:) I don't have to worry about battery life. I don't have to worry a out weird and unexpected slowdowns. I'm not concerned with incompatible apps (some consider the Note a tablet, some phone apps don't work). Updates to the OS are same time for ALL devices. Support post purchase is second to none. And that damned SD card...what's it good for? Most apps won't allow you to load to it. Some media works I suppose...but I've had more freaking issues with 'attempting' to use my 32gb sd card for anything! It is really kinda lame...and maybe I was ignorant, but I truly thought it would expand my actual system storage. It doesn't. You're very limited by what can and can't live on it

I live and work in a tech environment. A creative environment with designers, coders, engineers and video/audio production professionals...writers and editors, of the 280 employees we've got, a handful are using Android handsets. The vast majority is using an iPhone. And this is about as vast and diverse A 'technical' population in a work place you could find. Don't you think it's funny that both Microsoft and Google have has their employees 'lose' their iPhones?

9 out of 10 who think they are tech ;)

i work in a tech office and it's the other way round

Aha! I knew I wasn't alone:)

J

Elvergun

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
Iphone has its place no doubt, but it's perceived simplicity made it a huge hit among the non technical. I noticed 9 out of 10 tech people have an android is done flavor. The non tech go with iphones because their trendy.

LOL...why don't you throw some made-up facts out there with the hope that someone will believe your fantasies.

In the last two companies I've work for - both software companies - I would say that 70% of the people use iPhones.

In my previous company almost all the Android users were managers (the majority of the engineers used iPhones). I was one of the few developers with an Android (an Incredible).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.