Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
Help. My translation widget just died!

I've tried closing and reopening it, but it has made no difference.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
ebally said:
Help. My translation widget just died!

I've tried closing and reopening it, but it has made no difference.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Trash it.
Re-download it.
Repair permissions.

ebally

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
fartheststar said:
Trash it.
Re-download it.
Repair permissions.

Thanks for the help, but I trashed the preferences and it seems to have done the trick. Now if only it was a little faster!

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
it JUST died? wow.. yours lasted longer than mine.. i installed tiger the following monday after it came out. hasn't worked since.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
The translation widget uses an internet translation server. If that server is down, or responding slowly, then the widget won't work. Sometimes mine won't respond, but comes back eventually.

Naturally, it won't work when you aren't connected to the internet, either. (It will say "data unavailable.")

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
portent said:
The translation widget uses an internet translation server. If that server is down, or responding slowly, then the widget won't work. Sometimes mine won't respond, but comes back eventually.

Naturally, it won't work when you aren't connected to the internet, either. (It will say "data unavailable.")

mine has just refused to do anything for the past 6 months or so. i don't care, i don't need it.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
DXoverDY said:
it JUST died? wow.. yours lasted longer than mine.. i installed tiger the following monday after it came out. hasn't worked since.
Huh... I installed Tiger basically the day it shipped overnight, and I use the translation widget almost every day.

Once in a while it'll flake for a few minutes (I assume because of the server acting up, although there's no feedback to indicate this), but it always comes back in a bit.

Gotta be a corrupt prefs issue or something like that...

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Makosuke said:
Huh... I installed Tiger basically the day it shipped overnight, and I use the translation widget almost every day.

Once in a while it'll flake for a few minutes (I assume because of the server acting up, although there's no feedback to indicate this), but it always comes back in a bit.

Gotta be a corrupt prefs issue or something like that...

Yeah, I use mine all the time too and I have never had any problem with it. I wonder what's been gong on with the people whose widget doesn't work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.