Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Ok, my apt. has a wireless cable connection running on two PC's and my Mac. We continually get dropped service and connection problems. I usually have to reset the router after waking up my Mac. We're not running any security on the router, and otherwise it appears to be set up correctly.

Connecting via hardwire works perfectly; its just the wireless that we're having issues with. When its connected and running, it usually runs fine (although occassionally it will drop out momentarily or completely).

Any ideas?

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
What model of router? Are you using the latest firmware? Are there any other wireless networks nearby operating on the same channel?

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Probably interference with other wireless devices. I can see up to 5 other wireless routers from my apartment. I noticed one was using the same channel that I was, so I switched to another, empty channel. Keep in mind 2.4 GHz phones, microwaves, et al. also cause interference for WiFi networks.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah, there are other networks around (i live in NYC), but I've made certain I'm on a different channel than the others. It's a netgear router, model # WGR614. I think it has the latest firmware, but I'm not certain.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
the PCs are most likely the problem, i have 3 macs in my house 2 are wireless and one is wired to a d-link 514, it always works and i always get 4 bars...

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2005
munckee said:
I think it has the latest firmware, but I'm not certain.
You can check for updates here (it should tell you the current version somewhere on the router configuration page, or on one of the stickers on the bottom of the router).

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Yup Munckee, I live in NYC too and have the same issue. I have to reboot my airport constantly. Never thought about changing the channel so I will certainly try this too when I get home. I get about 12 wireless connections in my building as well. Sometimes if I'm too lazy ill just connect to somone elses wireless untill I feel like getting up to reboot:p

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Thank the lord for this thread. I can see about 8 networks in my bldg and my airport was giving me all kinds of problems. Change of channel worked great.

simon-says

macrumors regular
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
In the lab I work at we have a DLink 624, or something like that. Anyways whenever we connect my Powerbook on the network everyone's wireless drops too. Have not been able to figure it out. In fact the wireless signal will drop every 15 minutes or so while my Powerbook is on the network. Is this some type of Apple problem?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
freeny said:
Sometimes if I'm too lazy ill just connect to somone elses wireless untill I feel like getting up to reboot:p
Ha, I do the same thing.

My router is really not that far from my PowerBook. Probably 20-30ft as the crow flies. But I think I have a lot of trouble because of interference or something. There is a large steel safe and a couple walls between the PB and the router, so I think that's part of the problem. I put a Linsys wireless repeater between the two, which seems to reroute the signal enough to get a stable connection. My cordless phones are 5.8ghz (not the culprit), but I do see several other networks at any given time. Sometimes there's not a lot you can do.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
I think it was just an issue of too many networks. I've since moved and we got a new linksys router set on a different channel than most of the other networks we see around us. Seems to work fine; has only dropped a couple of times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.