Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
When I write a paper in word on my mac my endnotes are nice an numerical yet whenever I open up the file on a PC, like when I email it to my teacher or open it in the computer lab, the endnotes become roman numerals.

1. Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I'd prefer to do it on my mac but i can open it on a pc, make sure it works there and then send it out.

2. I can't seem to figure out how to make the PC version of word make the funky roman numerals go back to plain numbers.

I'm using Office 2004, I've had this problem in Panther and Tiger. The PC versions of Office is 2003.

Thanks!

iSaint

macrumors 603
Save it to a PDF file and email that to your prof. All of my emailed work is sent in PDF format. It's too easy for things to get skewed otherwise. PDF creator is a print option in Word.

BTW my late Uncle Vladimir Ossipoff was a well-known architect who designed many public and private buildings in Honolulu and Hawaii during his lifetime. I hope I get a chance to go see some of them one day!

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
I tried the pdf route, but sometimes there is a need for word because of tracking changes or just a general unwillingness to take pdfs.

iSaint

macrumors 603
I was just visiting one of my professors who was having problems with documents getting messed up in emails between windows computers! So I guess there are problems all around.

What are the versions of the different MS Office suites?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Click on the red toolbox icon in the top toolbar in Word. Then click on the wrench tab in the palette. This will give you a compatibility report. You might just go ahead and change it to the specific version of Word on the PC you are interested in (e.g. 2003) and then see what it tells you....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.