Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zzlaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2005
my office uses a Powermac G5 with two hard drives to store shared projects.

a few hourse ago i noticed every folder on one of the drives suddenly says it was last modified today at the same time. the system log showed nothing. any ideas why this might happen? it is well over 200 folders, and none of the contents show a similar change in date.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
zzlaz said:
my office uses a Powermac G5 with two hard drives to store shared projects.

a few hourse ago i noticed every folder on one of the drives suddenly says it was last modified today at the same time. the system log showed nothing. any ideas why this might happen? it is well over 200 folders, and none of the contents show a similar change in date.
I suspect that, for some reason (maybe you changed view options, for example), a hidden file present in all of the folders (such as .DS_Store, which stores view settings) was modified at that date and time. This would cause the folder's modification date to be updated, but not the modification dates of the (visible) contents, as you mentioned in your post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.