Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It was on my bed, I sat down, it was an accident. No need to read anymore into it.

I'd like to believe you; but the scented candles and the George Michael cd on the stereo kind of weaken the 'accident' angle ;) :D

As for the ocarina flute? Well there was this one time, at bandcamp !!! ;)

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Gamecube era was great. I had it in my room and it was super simple to change and launch games. Loading times were short too, unlike the Wii U of today. Now I keep a Japanese N64 hooked up.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
What Gamecube games were the best of its generation?

I've never owned one, but have one coming in through an eBay buy. Off the bat I wanted to get Rogue Squadron 2 and 3. Any others I should check out - I'd assume Mario Sunshine and the Zelda Wind Waker are must haves too.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Excellent I'll check those out - Super Smash is a great game - the single player mode gets old, but when friends come over it is a nice one to have for sure :)

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
My only gripe with new generation consoles is the controllers seem to get more advanced and complicated to use. One needs only to look back at the orignal nes controller and the new wii u gamepad.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Pikmin, Super Smash Bros., Metroid...

If you've never played Animal Crossing, prepare to waste a LOT of time in town...did I say waste? That town was the best place I ever stayed, LOL.

Paper Mario (again, for N64 or GC), Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid...there were a lot of good games for the GameCube, it is a pity Nintendo didn't get a lot of credit for it.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I was at an area used video shop that's been we'll established and picked up the last remaining good stuff - due to high replayability and collectibility, a lot of stuff's been picked through.

I managed to get Halo Game of the Year editions and Halo 2 SE all totally complete in box (with all paperwork) at $3 and $4 - old prices as collector's demand has shot the prices way up.

The Sega Dreamcast stuff is next to non-existent (going for premiums on eBay or people are just keeping them to play).

Nintendo stuff is gone, only a few overpriced games that are popular, as people are keeping those or auctioning those off - only the EA Sports games are left.

If you have a chance to find the old stuff - definitely get them while you can.

For me, playing under emulation is just not as fun.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Yea I was lucky enough to find a GameStop that still had GameCube games. I picked up a bunch of awesome titles for under a dollar!

Metroid Prime for 80 cents etc. - For 6 or so games my total was $5.16 - will be searching for more in the area to fill out my collection.

Emulation just isn't the same - especially for N64/GameCube games - the controller is part of that experience. For NES/SNES the current controllers do the job well enough.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Yea I was lucky enough to find a GameStop that still had GameCube games. I picked up a bunch of awesome titles for under a dollar!

Metroid Prime for 80 cents etc. - For 6 or so games my total was $5.16 - will be searching for more in the area to fill out my collection.

Emulation just isn't the same - especially for N64/GameCube games - the controller is part of that experience. For NES/SNES the current controllers do the job well enough.

Yes, the Gamestop by me were closing them out. I got a couple of Gamecube consoles with all genuine Nintendo controllers, power supply, and cables for $20 each (they now go for around $50 on eBay).

The good games were gone, but I got some more of the common bad games that had Gamecube cases in great condition, worth the $1 each.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I'd like to believe you; but the scented candles and the George Michael cd on the stereo kind of weaken the 'accident' angle ;) :D

As for the ocarina flute? Well there was this one time, at bandcamp !!! ;)

You seem to enjoy watching other poeple play. Quite a bit of detailed info you have there...

I've never owned one, but have one coming in through an eBay buy. Off the bat I wanted to get Rogue Squadron 2 and 3. Any others I should check out - I'd assume Mario Sunshine and the Zelda Wind Waker are must haves too.

Aside from the Marios, Metroids, Zeldas and Rogue Squadron games already mentiond, I would higly recommend these for Gamecube:

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil
Killer 7
Time Splitters 2
Viewtiful Joe
Beyond Good & Evil
Price of Persia: Sands of Time
F-Zero GX
Eternal Darkness

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
Thanks - I'll add those to my list of ones to get - going back into the gaming world I have a lot of catching up to do - already own a bunch of games that I haven't had time to dig into yet :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
Aside from the Marios, Metroids, Zeldas and Rogue Squadron games already mentiond, I would higly recommend these for Gamecube:

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil
Killer 7
Time Splitters 2
Viewtiful Joe
Beyond Good & Evil
Price of Persia: Sands of Time
F-Zero GX
Eternal Darkness

Oops, forgot these - all awesome....

Has anyone played the Tomb Raider Legends Gamecube version?

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I liked the N64 era more than any other simply because at the time, the FPS was relatively new (esp. on consoles) and the transition to 3D opened up new ways to play games.

Now, the leaps are not so great between consoles so its less exciting.

Don't get me wrong though, I would take Bioshock Infintie over Goldeneye anyday.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
My favourites were;

Smash Bros Melee
Mario Sunshine
Windwaker
Metroid Prime 1 (played through 2 but didn't think it was as good)
F-Zero GX
Rogue Leader
Luigi's Mansion
Viewtiful Joe
Timesplitters 2

Played those games so much in the old days. It's a shame the Wii U doesn't play them or else I'd be still trying to 100% Windwaker!

Exactly! I never understood the point of downloading mountains of roms and playing them on a PC using a keyboard or bog-standard generic controller. It is down to the feel of the original system.
I modded one of my PSP's to use as a portable emulation platform - but it never gets used. I find playing PS1 games on PS3 good since the controllers are so close to the original. And I only just got into playing my Virtual Console games since I got a genuine SNES controller for the Wii (Club Nintendo reward).

Antares

macrumors 68000
I liked the N64 era more than any other simply because at the time, the FPS was relatively new (esp. on consoles) and the transition to 3D opened up new ways to play games.

Now, the leaps are not so great between consoles so its less exciting.

Exactly I don't think I've had the sense of awe and amazement in playing a game since I first played Super Mario 64 (and other early N64 games). It was a groundbreaking, beautiful and exciting experience. Just playing with Mario's face was something that would leave you in awe. Things like jumping through the mirror and see it ripple or going down the slide were truly bewildering. Just walking around outside the castle and panning the camera to see the world around you was a stunning experience. But this was because it was all new. Most people woudl have never seen things like this before.

Sadly, the kids of today (and the future) will not be able to experience something similar to that of first playing Super Mario 64 on launch day. The games of today are merely evolutions of what was pioneered on the N64. Prettier visuals, updated controls, smarter AI. With the N64 you had experiences unlike anything before. The 2D to 3D transition could be argued as the largest leap in all of gaming history. The only equivilant experience would be if some invented a real holodeck and you jumped from playing games on a video screen to interacting with a game all around you, like real life.

That said, the SNES is still my favorite era.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
The SNES I think is going to be the most playable as far as retro gaming - many N64 games don't hold up - some do like Rogue Squadron

Actually, the N64 is starting to become old enough to be considered retro. Great games:

Shadows of the Empire
Rogue Squadron
Zelda Games
Mario Party
Mario Kart
Mario 64

many others that people have personal preferences for.

Around here, a lot of the carts and systems are fast disappearing. You can still get the knock-off N64 controllers new, but they are just not the same.

A local retro gaming store that specializes in Nintendo refurbishes the systems and rebuilds the controllers and they can't keep the N64 stuff in stock.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
This thread makes me want to call up my parents and have them ship me my SNES and N64 that's sitting in their basement. Wii Virtual Console gets me my fix for now. I'm kinda bummed that I sold my NES and Genesis years ago. Still got the PS2 at my house though.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
This thread makes me want to call up my parents and have them ship me my SNES and N64 that's sitting in their basement. Wii Virtual Console gets me my fix for now. I'm kinda bummed that I sold my NES and Genesis years ago. Still got the PS2 at my house though.

Yea I've been rebuying old systems - picked up a GameCube and N64 both around $50 on eBay.

I'm okay using Virtual Console for NES/SNES - the controllers for those systems are easier to work with on modern controllers. Trying to emulate N64/GC is not quite as fun.

Next time I am home I'll be bringing back the loads of N64 cartridges still in storage.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
BJrlrfsCEAE9ZXy.jpg:large

Recently got one of these for my Wii U - genuine Nintendo SNES controller. I think it's Europe/Japan only and it feels exactly like it should! I've started playing through all my Snes games on the Wii again.
They really are the best games and that isn't coming from nostalgia - I never even owned a SNES (nor did I ever emulate one).

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2006
BJrlrfsCEAE9ZXy.jpg:large

Recently got one of these for my Wii U - genuine Nintendo SNES controller. I think it's Europe/Japan only and it feels exactly like it should! I've started playing through all my Snes games on the Wii again.
They really are the best games and that isn't coming from nostalgia - I never even owned a SNES (nor did I ever emulate one).

Yea I've got one on the way too - I ordered the Club Nintendo version that Japan people could buy. I can't wait to dig into Super Mario World and some of the other great SNES games on that controller.

Now for getting N64 and NES controllers that work on the Wii

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.