Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
How much (percentage wise) do you think that NAND flash along with the new backlit keyboard (and just SANTA rosa energy savings) will produce over all.

I wouldn't be suprised to see 25% more battery life (hopefully by this july Apple will incorporate some of those new battery technogies I have been reading about on Engadget).

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
NAND flash can get from 5-20% additional battery life when it comes to disk caching. (It's NOT a solid state hard disk and it's different from the hard drive buffer.) Don't expect it to give you better battery life all around. It's only useful for basic tasks that aren't demanding.

What kind of new back lit keyboard? I don't know much about how the current one is lit.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm pretty sure they meant screen, as that is what the title of the thread would suggest.
I don't know the power consumption of a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp . I do know that LED's would consume around 1 watt though. From what I've seen of LED screens right now though, you're limited by available colors that you can display (200,000?). The image quality is rather nice from what I've seen though.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Yea I meant the screen,
as you saw from the post time it was almost 2 in the morning and I was a little out of it. Ha, thanks.

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I don't know the power consumption of a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp . I do know that LED's would consume around 1 watt though. From what I've seen of LED screens right now though, you're limited by available colors that you can display (200,000?). The image quality is rather nice from what I've seen though.

The LED-lit displays aren't hurting in the # of colors department anymore than current 6-bit displays are. It's just a different level of color gamut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.