Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
I have a Synology DS1511+. It currently holds 4 TB and I have not had the issues above. Sounds like you've had a horrible time for whatever reason.

So did you migrate files from HFS+ to start?
If so, was it a lot? How did you go about it?

Bear in mind I've not tried the SD1511+, this is a DS212J I'm having issues with.

----------

boomhaueruk; you're using it wrong.

Thank god you're here on this planet.

----------

Synology DS212, no complaints.

Booting up is slow yes...but you are booting what is essentially a micro PC with OS. Besides I thought the point of a NAS was to always have access, that's why you let the NAS put your drives to bed.

Speed...well with a direct connection(via crossover cable) I get 30MB/s write which is about right seeing as my ethernet is at 1000mbps and the crossover cable was OLD. Over wifi however it's more like 8MB/s, I'm one of 5 users on the router.

It's more than enough and if you need better then the new gigabit wifi routers should solve the speed issue.

Out of interest, did you move files onto it from HFS+? If so was it a lot?
How did you go about it?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
So did you migrate files from HFS+ to start?
I sure did. All of the files came from Macs
If so, was it a lot? How did you go about it?

Yes, it was over 2 TBs and many (probably hundreds of) thousands of various files such as documents, code, music and movies ranging from small sizes to 30 GB+ BR mkv rips.

I first built the RAID volume and set up the NAS (created shares, users and so forth). I made sure to run all of the appropriate tests that everything was working fine.

Then I connected to the NAS via Ethernet and did a copy and paste directory by directory. Many of the files came from external drives so I had those connected via USB 2 or FW800. Pretty painless really. I just let it chug on through the night.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
Out of interest, did you move files onto it from HFS+? If so was it a lot?
How did you go about it?

Just connected the external USB drive I had, which was HFS+, to my macbook and transferred the files via the network, it took a while but then I had nearly 2TB of data.

If you're asking if the NAS reads external drives directly connected to it that are HFS+ then no, that's why I had to use my mac, I did have an NTFS external that I directly plugged into the NAS via USB 3.0 that worked fine and was quicker to copy.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
One solution would be to set it up as a NAS with shares and user accounts. Connect all your PCs & Macs via Gigabit Ethernet and connect the HFS+ formatted drive to a Mac. After all your files are transferred to the NAS you can connect the external HFS+ drive to the Synology and reformat it as EXT4.

Synology is compatible with OSX, Windows & Linux thru Samba.

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
I sure did. All of the files came from Macs

Yes, it was over 2 TBs and many (probably hundreds of) thousands of various files such as documents, code, music and movies ranging from small sizes to 30 GB+ BR mkv rips.

I first built the RAID volume and set up the NAS (created shares, users and so forth). I made sure to run all of the appropriate tests that everything was working fine.

Then I connected to the NAS via Ethernet and did a copy and paste directory by directory. Many of the files came from external drives so I had those connected via USB 2 or FW800. Pretty painless really. I just let it chug on through the night.

Yeah, it's coming up as days for some reason. And during that time I can't use my files, well, not fast enough.

Guess you're all saying network move - but I can't see why it failed with NTFS over USB.

Well, thanks to you all - I'll wipe it again and start a recopy. Wish I could get the DHCP server to install - it keeps failing. Never mind, cheers.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Yeah, it's coming up as days for some reason. And during that time I can't use my files, well, not fast enough.

Guess you're all saying network move - but I can't see why it failed with NTFS over USB.

Well, thanks to you all - I'll wipe it again and start a recopy. Wish I could get the DHCP server to install - it keeps failing. Never mind, cheers.

I've copied from NTFS drives, but only via eSATA. I've never tried the USB, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Run all of the diagnostics and make sure you don't have a faulty unit.

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
I've copied from NTFS drives, but only via eSATA. I've never tried the USB, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Run all of the diagnostics and make sure you don't have a faulty unit.

I've got a call logged with Synology - my 3rd - and they're looking at the logs but they are very slow and don't read detail, so it's taking a long time to resolve.

I think it might be to do with the file names not being handled correctly from having looked into the errors, rather than a device fault.

As I say, I wish I'd read into this in the first place and seen I couldn't just connect the HFS drive over USB, but there we are.

It's not easy at all (in the UK) to return kit through the post, it's so expensive now and with my local post office closed, a pain in the backside.
So I'm going to keep on plugging away until they confirm the hardware is faulty. thanks to all.

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
Crossover cable, problem solved.

Does vex me a bit to have spent money on NTFs and now be buying crossover cables. Ok - it's all pence, but seriously, I'm sure this process shouldn't have been so fraught with hurdles.

I created a DHCP server on the Ds212j to serve my old powerbook, so I'll use that for the transfer - I can use the NTFS clone for the files in the meantime to work round the transfer speed issues whilst the copy is ongoing.

Anyway, thanks to all for their help - I'll let you know once the file transfer is complete if it's sorted the errors.

boomhaueruk

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
Does vex me a bit to have spent money on NTFs and now be buying crossover cables. Ok - it's all pence, but seriously, I'm sure this process shouldn't have been so fraught with hurdles.

I created a DHCP server on the Ds212j to serve my old powerbook, so I'll use that for the transfer - I can use the NTFS clone for the files in the meantime to work round the transfer speed issues whilst the copy is ongoing.

Anyway, thanks to all for their help - I'll let you know once the file transfer is complete if it's sorted the errors.

8 hours, 240Gb transferred. so around 64 hours to do the lot. Sigh.

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
wow it took 3 days to transfer all your data? how much data do u have?

I'm considering buying a synology also, I'm thinking one of the new 4 or 5 bay models will do fine and have enough future proofing for my needs. Actually I know it'll be overkill for my needs, but that's the way I buy things. I like to buy things that will last a while without needing to be replaced etc

Anyway I have quite a lot of data, mostly movies and photos as my partner and I are avid hobbyist photographers and movie lovers in general. I have a pretty large collection of ripped movies stored on multiple hard drives as well as many tv shows that I have downloaded from itunes etc.

Anyway, I'm wondering which of the features of a NAS are most important for speed. I'm talking access speed, read/write speed. At my home I currently have 3 macs, 2 atv2;s, a couple of ipads and a couple of iphones. Of course I won't be using all of these things at the same time, but should I be looking at a NAS with more ram? faster processor? or should I be looking at my router instead and more worried abt wifi speed etc?

I know this is slightly off topic as this thread is asking abt qnap or synology, but I have been following the topic for a while and have pretty much decided on synology for many of the reasons above and now that I've read of boomhaueruk's experience of slow copying speeds, I'm wondering what factors I should be looking at to ensure faster speeds.

thanks in advance for reading through my mini essay :)

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
I have Qnap - TS-219PII which is affordable enough and powerful enough to handle torrents and newsgroups (SABnzbd). Works well. Haven't had a single problem with it and there are a lot of plugins (packages). So, +1 for Qnap.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I have Qnap - TS-219PII which is affordable enough and powerful enough to handle torrents and newsgroups (SABnzbd). Works well. Haven't had a single problem with it and there are a lot of plugins (packages). So, +1 for Qnap.

I've got the DS212+ and as far as I know it has the same tech specs as your NAS, odd that you can't torrent, I use mine as my main torrent client now as well as streaming media around the house.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
QNAP has been great for me. I have the 559 Pro II/+ something.

Why do people shut it off? Thats very anti-nas.

I've run home grown NAS solutions in the past, they are a pain in the ass. The qnap is my 4th NAS. My qnap serves my files quickly, handles time machine for 3 Macs, records 3 IP camera streams simultaneously, performs nightly off site backup, and a lot more (ftp, webDav, DLNA media server, etc). This is all out of the box. If you need to install custom packages, then yeah it can get a little complicated. But setting all this up and maintaining it on a Mac Mini would be a pain too.

I'd like to get sugarsync to work on it. As well as a real itunes server (video to apple tv) but I have not seen any 3rd party server which can do video to apple tv. So I'm now looking at a Mac mini to plug those two holes.

QNAP +1

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
Try installing xbmc onto your atv. Using a synology nas to store all my media files to be streamed over to all my xbmc clients throughout the house is amazing! I love synology and it's sexy DSM UI!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.