Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
If you are in the USA and have a pet, eat meat or dislike big brother government then you should educate yourself about the proposed National Animal Identification System that is being implemented by the government. I have written a summary of it with links to the full documentation at:

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2006/01/mystery-photo-20060109.html

Get educated while you still have a chance to have some influence on this issue.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I dont think you have that right. "if you go on a trailride with your horse, you have to report it to the government".

That is BS, this is not a big deal, and won't happen like you say it is going to. That would be an infringement on our rights.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
MacAztec said:
I dont think you have that right. "if you go on a trailride with your horse, you have to report it to the government".

That is BS, this is not a big deal, and won't happen like you say it is going to. That would be an infringement on our rights.

yeah because you know, the goverment isn't already infringing on our rights? :rolleyes: :eek:

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
So explain to me how knowing the source of a livestock-based outbreak is a bad thing?

The people who overanalyze this stuff have too much time on their hands.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I passed the test!!

The National Animal Identification Scheme:
250px-YellowLabradorLooking_wb.jpg

That's a Dog.

cat.jpg

That's a Cat.

cow.jpg

That's a Cow.

koala.jpg

That's a Koala. Not a Koala Bear.

bilby.jpg

That's a Bilby.

Duffy-Duck.jpg

That's a Duck.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
MacAztec said:

Yes, you will need to report trail rides according to the USDA's NAIS fact sheet at:

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/newsroom/factsheets/nais_qa_factsheet.shtml#21

To quote:

Q. If a Person Only Shows Animals or Only Takes Them to Trail Rides, Do They Need to be Identified?
A. When people show or commingle their animals with animals from multiple premises, the possibility of spreading disease becomes a factor. Those animals will need to be identified.

MacAztec said:

Just because you don't believe your government would infringe on your rights does not mean they will not do so. Speak up now while you still can. Write the USDA, your legislators, newspapers, etc. Act now.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
MacAztec said:
You don't think who has what right? :confused:

Like many things in our gov't now, this takes a good concept (offering quick tracking of meat from large farms in case of bad batches) and goes way too far with it (telling the gov't you took your pet horse for a trail ride? that you took your dog to a show?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.