Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Nautilus?

Come on, how long before my dumbbells and barbells are going to be integrated?!!

Not a bad idea. Have an BLE microcontroller with an accelerometer so the back and forth motion can indicate reps in the dumb bell.

Writing up the business plan now!

----------

Makes you wonder how athletes got by without a computer tracking stuff.

You bring up a very good point. The classic jock mindset is the most anti-tech stereotype out there. Will jocks and other athletic fanatics want their sport "geeked out" with all this technology.

This has been the problem with Nike over the past ten years. Yes, it can be done technically. While some get away from the computer and cell phone to work out, will they reject a "connected" piece of athletic equipment?

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Would be interesting to see exercise equipment link to the Apple Watch and correlate your workout to your heart rate in some fashion.

cowbellallen

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
Nautilus needs to go back to making these bad boys:
8BIiaUi.jpg

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Not a bad idea. Have an BLE microcontroller with an accelerometer so the back and forth motion can indicate reps in the dumb bell.

Writing up the business plan now!

----------

You bring up a very good point. The classic jock mindset is the most anti-tech stereotype out there. Will jocks and other athletic fanatics want their sport "geeked out" with all this technology.

This has been the problem with Nike over the past ten years. Yes, it can be done technically. While some get away from the computer and cell phone to work out, will they reject a "connected" piece of athletic equipment?

Yes?

----------

Would be interesting to see exercise equipment link to the Apple Watch and correlate your workout to your heart rate in some fashion.

This exists lol

It's called any sports watch with a hrm

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

The most non-comment, comment I have seen on this entire domain.

----------

Nautilus needs to go back to making these bad boys:

Keep in mind that the "big boys" of fitness users are less than 1% of the market. Also, these gym rats spend so much time working out, they are nearly broke since they do not have a full time job. This is why a lot of hugely fit people get free memberships just to attract those with money and not time to workout regularly.

The big money is in the fitness wannabes that are so busy making money, they do not have time to work out. Instead, they buy equipment they barely use. This is why most gyms insist on membership fees only connected to automated monthly withdrawals from checking accounts. The gym owners know most they sign up will not be regularly at the gym to pay a monthly fee in person. They just want to suck cash from people who pay and never show.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Nautilus never did do a mac version of software for their gyms

And maybe that's why they don't make gyms anymore.

Shame. Their home gyms were the best. It was just (and still is) a pain to have to fire up Windows to do the software to generate the exercises.

:apple:

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
Exactly

All this data won't mean anything if people won't religiously input their food.

Steps don't equal to a healthy lifestyle.

10,000 doesn't burn much calories. Put it this way- if you eat a donut - that's 250 calories. You'd have to walk miles to burn that off. Or run 2-3 miles for most people.

Anyways like this expensive coat hanger the iWatch will be a $500 deadweight on your wrist.

Depends on bodyweight, fitness etc, but 10k steps will typically equate to about 500 calories burned - often more.

I agree that diet plays the bigger role - but you should not treat these things in isolation. Giving people the data often helps to keep them focused on the impact what they do has on their health - that can actually increase the motivation to eat more healthily too! "you'd have to walk miles to burn that off" plays exactly into that.

I'm not saying it helps everyone, but from the evidence I've seen the explosion of step-tracking and other health-tracking devices has been a net good so far. Anything that gives us greater visibility of the detrimental effects of modern western lifestyles must be a good thing, I think.

This all speaking as someone who has lost 51kg over the last 15 months - all while tracking weight, steps, heart-rate and other metrics using hi-tech :)
I did try tracking food in MyFitnessPal for a while but found it too time-consume and really onerous to get right (most of the existing data in there is way out - often 2-5x out!).

millarj

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
Makes you wonder how athletes got by without a computer tracking stuff.

Exactly! And working out was better before all this workout machine, carbon fiber, whatever crap too. All you need is a rock to push up and down hills and you're fine. You don't need to log it in some fancy app either, just start when the sun comes up and stop when it's too dark to see the rock. Easy.

doc james

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
United Kingdom
The Purpose of HealthKit

I’m not sure that the real purpose of healthKit has been properly understood. I practice in the UK so don’t follow US healthcare closely but from a recent international conference I attended, the signal seemed to be that Apple is looking at either becoming a healthcare provider or acquiring one.

HealthKit is about data acquisition for Apple. Not from the healthy, who take an active interest in their health but from the unhealthy that don’t. Apple doesn’t want to know that you ran 40km last week – it wants to know that 30% of its users walked less than 500 steps/day (I’m making all this data up) and, only because they bothered to fill it in, a BMI of 32.

Perhaps you also bothered to fill in the medication list and 15% of users are found to be on blood pressure medication.

All of this can be scaled up to population level and used for actuarial analysis.

If you do happen to already be part of a service that uses a form of tele-medicine then that could feed into HealthKit. I would see the next step as being “HealthKit Server” for physicians (sync the medicine lists, blood results etc.) which would be quite attractive to hospitals etc. if on going support were guaranteed followed by Apple reviewing the data prior to making some sort of larger investment.

As I say, I’m UK based so make no judgement on whether this is a good thing or not.

Incidentally, I agree that recording exercise is meaningless without recording calorie input but I think it’s fair to assume that no one takes an active interest in logging a grossly unhealthy diet so exercise is a surrogate for “health attitude”.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I’m not sure that the real purpose of healthKit has been properly understood. I practice in the UK so don’t follow US healthcare closely but from a recent international conference I attended, the signal seemed to be that Apple is looking at either becoming a healthcare provider or acquiring one.

HealthKit is about data acquisition for Apple. Not from the healthy, who take an active interest in their health but from the unhealthy that don’t. Apple doesn’t want to know that you ran 40km last week – it wants to know that 30% of its users walked less than 500 steps/day (I’m making all this data up) and, only because they bothered to fill it in, a BMI of 32.

Perhaps you also bothered to fill in the medication list and 15% of users are found to be on blood pressure medication.

All of this can be scaled up to population level and used for actuarial analysis.

If you do happen to already be part of a service that uses a form of tele-medicine then that could feed into HealthKit. I would see the next step as being “HealthKit Server” for physicians (sync the medicine lists, blood results etc.) which would be quite attractive to hospitals etc. if on going support were guaranteed followed by Apple reviewing the data prior to making some sort of larger investment.

As I say, I’m UK based so make no judgement on whether this is a good thing or not.

Incidentally, I agree that recording exercise is meaningless without recording calorie input but I think it’s fair to assume that no one takes an active interest in logging a grossly unhealthy diet so exercise is a surrogate for “health attitude”.

well said

interesting thoughts on apple being a service provider on health data. it would absolutely be controversial because people don't like sharing that data.

thank you for sharing doc!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.