Navigation Bar Help

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Yefo, Jun 6, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2011
    Hello, I'm new to programming on the iPhone and I've run into a problem.

I've implemented a navigation bar that pushes and pops views. However here is my issue:

current stack of views: [view 1, view 2, view 3]
    target stack of views: [view 1, view 2, view 4]

In other words, I understand the basics of how to push/pop views with the navigation bar, but is there a way to basically switch the top view?

This is what I've tried, but it does not work. I think what these two lines of code do is get rid of the top view, then add a new view ON TOP of the view I just got rid of. In other words, these two lines result in the stack being [view 1, view 2] and do not work as I intended.

[self.navigationController popViewControllerAnimated:NO];
    [self.navigationController pushViewController:newView animated:NO];
  2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 6, 2011
    Okay, I solved the problem! I added a pointer to the view 2's class to the headers of view 3 (and view 4).

So when I'm at [view 1, view 2] before I push view 3, i set view 3's point to view 2 so I have a reference to the "parent" class (like in ActionScript). Then, the code becomes:

[self.navigationController popViewControllerAnimated:NO];
    [mainController.navigationController pushViewController:newView animated:NO];
    Where "mainController" is just a reference to view 2 and newView is the newly created view 4, allowing me to go from

[view 1, view 2, view 3]

[view 1, view 2, view 4]