Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Bear with me guys (This is not another ibook vs Pbook thread), I picked up a nice lil second hand 12" rev a Powerbook and i think it really is a stunning piece of kit, if it were a bird it would be Evangeline Lilly. Design wise i prefer the Powerbook a lot more than the ibooks. 867mhz is also definately fast enough for my portable needs for a laptop - that is Word/Mail/Firefox and general light use. But the battery life is between 2-2.5 (lowest settings) and the Airport reception isn't great at all, for example i can't use it in my room or in front of the tv, which i would like to do - something i could do with my old G4 ibook and my imac now. So i have two choices:

1)Buy a new battery (£89) and buy a new Access point to extend coverage (£40)

OR

2) Go all out and Buy a new 12" Rev D and sell this one

So a few quick questions to help me decide:
1) Has the airport reception actually gotten better with the rev d Powerbooks?

2) Has the battery life got any better?

3) Has the screen got any better?
There is a bit of lag on my present 12" and i am not sure if a combination of a better graphics card and a better screen would make the rev d's better?

4) Is it any cooler?

thanks guys, help me make my decision :)

jjmaximum

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Gainesville, FL
Keep what you got

I've got a rev. C PB and don't get near the AP reception that my iMac G5 or iBook get. Battery life is the same 2-2.5 hours, so I don't think a new battery would help much. I would keep what you got for a year or so then get the next generation (G5?) when it comes out.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
What are you guys doing? If I turn down the screen brightness I get 3-3.5 hours on my 15" Rev C Powerbook.

The new 12" does have a few new cool features. Like scrolling on the trackpad and Bluetooth 2.0 plus a standard 5400rpm hard drive. Although I doubt it gets any better Airport reception.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
yippy said:
What are you guys doing? If I turn down the screen brightness I get 3-3.5 hours on my 15" Rev C Powerbook.

The new 12" does have a few new cool features. Like scrolling on the trackpad and Bluetooth 2.0 plus a standard 5400rpm hard drive. Although I doubt it gets any better Airport reception.

My Powerbook is like 2 years old, it is the good ol Rev A so it has been through quite a few cycles already.
While those features are nice (won't use/need BT 2.0) and getting a new Powerbook is great and just fresh, i just am not sure i can justify getting a new one.
The main thing i would be looking for is a better battery life and a bit better Airport reception than my 'rev a' so i can browse/work while watching tv and around my bedroom, also a better screen with less lag when moving windows etc and perhaps a slightly cooler one (not necessary really but does get a lil bit uncomfortable on my lap)
Considering i could be spending about £960 with education (i am a student) for a brand new 12", and if i sell my present one i guess i could get about £570, add on £90 for battery and that is near £700...for another £260 i could get a brand new pbook, a faster processor etc etc

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
anyone care to give their opinion on the rev d pbooks screen quality?
Is it any better than the Rev A's or does the better gfx reduce the lag that i see with my rev A?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
PB, since being metal, have trouble with wireless over distances. I think its because of the metal its made of, it shelds the antenna. I know my iBook I could walk far away from a base station and still get a connection, while my new PB only gets about half the distance. Its a bummer alright.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
If you can't resolve the airport situation any other way. I would try and sell it and buy a newer model (atleast rev c).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.