Need a web host that offers...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by LastLine, Apr 2, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

Ok, so I'm looking to host a site for a friend, and I have some basic needs.

Low cost: Sub £50 for the year (or equivalent for each year if a multiple year contract)
    URL included preferably - hopefully something simple, .org, .org.uk, .co.uk are ideal.
    MS Access database support - because I don't know SQL.
    PHP support.

Umm that is about it I think...any thoughts? :)

Alternatively, how can I set up a web server on my mac? :)

2. macrumors 68000

epochblue

You should be able to find all of that, although the MS Access might a hard one to find.

I started a thread like this recently and got lots of great feedback. Here's a link to that thread; you might start there: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=289328

3. macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

PHP and MS Access are unusual combination. PHP is usually offered on Linux based hosting while Access is exclusive for Windows based hosting.

It's usually PHP/MySQL and ASP/Access.

4. macrumors 65816

The asp is best avoided for me.

Reason I'm looking for this combination is simply because it's what I've been taught so far. I don't have any knowledge of SQL - how easy is it to learn? Ditto for ASP.

5. macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yes, SQL is pretty easy to learn. MySQL integrates extremely well (and easily) with PHP.

Most of the info you'll need can be found on the web, just a Google search away.

6. macrumors 601

zimv20

OP -- find a site that offers phpmyadmin (it's common), that's a gui frontend to mysql. it has tools that can help you put together an sql statement, run it, then translate it to the php equivalent.

7. macrumors 68000

epochblue

Of course, you may not learn SQL particularly well with something else writing it for you ;)