need advice

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by spunky, Dec 16, 2009.

1. spunky
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Hi, I am running a mac pro dual core 2 x 2.66 and Pro Tools LE. 7.4 w/ 4 gigs of ram. (4) 512 ram chips and (2) 1 gig ram chips. I keep getting "increase buffer size" and "cannot get audio fast enough" messages. I recently installed some new plug-ins. I suspect I need more ram. How much ram do I really need? I was told by a company that I should get two sets of four ram chips to get optimal results. For example: (4) 1 gig ram chips and (4) 2 gig ram chips gives me 12 total gigs of ram. Is that too much ram? I now have two empty ram slots. What is the best way to configure my ram? I would like to just add (2) more 2 gig chips or 2 more 4 gig chips. The salesman had my head spinning on "getting two groups of 4". Does anyone know about this sort of thing? How much ram do I need and is it true about having the two sets of four ram chips?.......thanks.........

2. ricof
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Ideally, you should have matched sets of ram, i.e 2 pairs that are the same value and from the same manufacturer. For example, 2 pairs of 2gig chips from crucial. This could be a recommendation, giving you 8 gig of ram which should be more than enough.

3. zimv20
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

zimv20

4 gig is probably plenty of RAM. have you tried doing as the message says and increasing your buffer size?

what plugs are they?

4. spunky
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

need advice

yes, I have increased the buffer size all the way up to 90% which seems high to me. I usually get the error message:
    "You are running out of CPU power. Remove some RTAS plug-ins or increase Usage limit in the Playback Engine dialog. (-9128)" This happens right when I first start to work. Playback stops the first couple of trys and then it doesn't give the error message any more unless I put too many plug-ins on board. Iuse: lounge lizard, ultra analog, blue, battery, and others of that nature. Does this seem like a memory issue? Thanks......