Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
so my iMac died a few days ago, at first it would randomly shut down but now it won't turn back on. I was told by the apple support people to bring it in to an Apple Store for repair. I wanted to backup/erase some conifdential files i have on my iMac hard drive. So i bought an external S-ATA enclosure and tried connecting the iMac hard drive to my PC (only have one Mac). The problem is that my PC doesn't recognize that there is any new hardware attached when i plug in the USB drive. Is it because the hard drive is from a mac? I have MacDrive and thought that i would be able to access mac formatted hard drives on a PC using that software. But macdrive can't access a drive that the pc doesn't even regcognize is there. is what i'm doing not even possible? one thing i was thinking of is what the jumper setting on the iMac hard drive should be? could this be why the PC isn't recognizing the external drive?

-on a side note, is it even worth trying to do this? or can i trust my data at Apple when being repaired?

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
jumper settings could definitely be the culprit. set to cable select if possible. I've had problems with drives not being recognized at all and changing around the jumpers worked for me. I wouldn't trust Apple with my data

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If you have MacDrive there's no reason your PC shouldn't see the HFS+ drive from your iMac. So it's likely to be a problem with the jumpers, the harddrive itself, the cable, or the enclosure. Your jumper should be set to MASTER, and it's probably set to cable-select. If that's not the issue, then you need to test and eliminate the posibilities from there.

jbuba

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
does anyone know what the jumper settings are for the hard drives in G5 iMac's? Usually there is a label on the drive, but on this one there isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.