Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Needer of Much

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Hey I use to live in Richmond, Va in Henrico County where they give all the students iBooks. Well recently I moved and I took the iBook with me. Yeah I know, I'm bad. Well fact is I have te iBook now and I want to get rid of the annoying blocks on it. I don't have any startup disks or anything, and I'm using Mac OS X v.10.2. Does anybody know how to help?

Celeron

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
I would suggest returning the iBook. Considering you moved and didn't return the iBook like your wording suggests, thats called stealing. Am I correct in assuming you are in high school or earlier?

Stealing a $1000 piece of equipment is not something I would really recommend. And I'm sure your parents won't appreciate the bill they are likely to get.

Needer of Much

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
I didnt take it on purpose. I lost it and found it again as I was unpacking. Yeah I'm in high school.

dvdh

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2004
Return it now . . . and hopefully no will have noticed it is missing (yet). That way you can avoid this becoming a legal issue.

If you keep it, not only will you like end up paying the replacement cost on the used Ibook, but you could end up with more than the bill. :(

If you like the ibook, (and it seems quite possible that you will end up paying for it in the long run) you should just consider getting you own.

No offense, but the situation at hand doesn't seem entirely wise.

Needer of Much

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Yeah but there's a problem with that. I'm now 2000 miles away from there, I dont feel like shipping it, and I dont know if they'll believe I magically found it while unpacking. I dont want any legal trouble, I've had enough of that

Needer of Much

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
I just got an estimate. $132.00 to send it back to Va. That's too much for me. I dont even have a job yet.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Needer of Much said:
I just got an estimate. $132.00 to send it back to Va. That's too much for me. I dont even have a job yet.
Oh please, maybe if you overnight it. Pack it yourself and bring it to an Office Depot shipping center. $20 tops.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Needer of Much said:

Unless you've moved overseas, that's a ridiculous shipping estimate. Should cost $20-30 max. I'll bet if you called your school, they might even arrange and pay for the shipping. You really need to do the right thing and send it back. If enough of those computers get stolen, the district is likely to stop giving them to students altogether.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Flowbee said:
Unless you've moved overseas, that's a ridiculous shipping estimate. Should cost $20-30 max. I'll bet if you called your school, they might even arrange and pay for the shipping. You really need to do the right thing and send it back. If enough of those computers get stolen, the district is likely to stop giving them to students altogether.
I shipped my old Powerbook 667 (sold on eBay) to a guy in FRANCE and it didn't cost that much!! $132 is crazy :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.