Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mads

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2002
I already have a working network with a cable modem connected to an AEBS and a bunch of wireless and wired computers connected to it. What I'm trying to do is to connect another base station to the network to extend the network.
I want the computers to automaticly switch between the base stations according to which one they're closest to.

These are the settings that I tried, but didn't work:

First station is set to connect to the internet via ethernet,
distribute IP's using DHCP and NAT,
and is set as a WDS main base station with the other station added to the remote list.

Second station is set to connect to the internet via Airport(WDS),
not distribute IP's,
and is a WDS remote base station with the first station in the Main Airport ID.

Both base stations are on the same network, same channel, and same password and security settings, but different names.

When I try it, the wired computers get internet but the wireless don't. They claim to be connected to the first base station, but they're not connected to the internet.

Any ideas?

Mofus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
San Diego
I had a similar problem when I bought a second base station. I had configured the main base station according to their documents, but the second one would never show up in the airport admin utility (from the wired computer). When I was in range of only the remote BS I was able to configure it that way. My laptop would be connected to it, but it would connect to the internet or the main base station. I called Apple and they wanted $300 to help solve the problem. What I did was manually reset each base station at about the same time. When they were done reseting I started the Airport Admin Utility and both base stations showed up in the window. They had never both shown up at the same time before. I configured the wired BS as the main base station and it automatically configured the remote BS for me and it has worked fine since. I spent days racking my brain how to get it working and all it required was reseting the base staions and starting from scratch. If I had paid $300 for that, I would have been really upset. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.