Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpspad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2014
Im new to a lot of this video stuff; but have been successful with handbrake and metaZ, and things are starting to get cumbersome with really large files and not sure what format to store them or how to setup the library.

Currently I often take video files and convert them to an iTunes friendly format because many won't play with changing the sound to ACC and stereo, but keep the originals in a sub folder just in case I need them again. I then send them to the iTunes library located on a time machine used as a NAS. So I am in a sense keeping 3 copies of the video files.

I know iTunes isn't the greatest player out there, but all my stuff is macs and iPads and using iTunes makes things easy to transfer files and play them.

I just got a Qnap with 3TB (raid 1), and wondering what would the best way to setup the media library...

One copy in a media directory and one in the iTunes Library?

or just delete the originals and keep the converted files on the Qnap?

I may move to plex or something else one day and just confused on what formats and codecs I should use as the standard?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.