Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
I'm watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz9mzB2fWhs&feature=related

and at 3:46, he is trying to declare three objects and to do so he is in the identity view and working under class actions. I'm using xcode 4 and cannot find A) the mainview identity, since the button is no longer there, and the class action stuff.

please help.

Also, are there good video tutorials out there for learning xcode 4 specifically?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
This is why we have many threads telling folks to stick with 3 while learning. Thanks for providing fodder for the next one.

Sorry, but I can't help since I'm staying away from 4 myself until Lion is on my production boxes.

B

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Thanks, but that doesn't help answer my question. If someone could share some info that helps me find what I'm looking for.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I would like to know if there is anything too. I could have sworn there was documentation in the developer portal regarding switching from 3 to 4 but I cannot find it. I spent like 5 minutes today trying to find the object library.

I do have to say from what I messed with I do like XCode 4, I just wish I could find more information on transitioning from 3 to 4. I know it exists, I remember hearing others talk about it, I just can't find it.

EDIT: Oh, I just looked at your video. If you are just learning programming you may be out of luck for awhile since XCode 4 just came out and tutorials are going to be sparse at the moment : /

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I would like to know if there is anything too. I could have sworn there was documentation in the developer portal regarding switching from 3 to 4 but I cannot find it. I spent like 5 minutes today trying to find the object library.

I do have to say from what I messed with I do like XCode 4, I just wish I could find more information on transitioning from 3 to 4. I know it exists, I remember hearing others talk about it, I just can't find it.

Xcode 4 Transition Guide

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks, but that doesn't help answer my question. If someone could share some info that helps me find what I'm looking for.

It does answer your question. It just may not be the answer you want.

The answer is "If you're relying on instructional materials that use Xcode 3, then continue to use Xcode 3." In short, if you're watching Xcode 3 videos, don't use Xcode 4.

Xcode 3 should still be available for download. I strongly suggest using it until one of two things occurs:
1. Tutorials are produced that use Xcode 4.
2. You become proficient enough at Xcode 3 that you can transition to Xcode 4 using only Xcode 4's Transition Guide and User Guide

Perhaps you're assuming that because the numbers 3 and 4 are close numerically, Xcode 3 will be close to Xcode 4. This is false. There are a huge number of significant differences, and even experienced developers can be overwhelmed. Apple should have called it Xcode 11 instead of 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.