Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orporg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
Hi there, folks!

I'm a crazy college student from Oregon that has an incredible jones to make my old IIGS into a powerhouse. Several years ago I bought a IIGS from Goodwill. I've always been fascinated with these computers. Well, the good news is that by booting it up with an external floppy and the composite video out I'm pretty sure it still works just fine. The bad news is that I can't do anything with it.

I'm having a harder time finding IIGS resources on the web then I did a few years ago. What I need to know, essentially, is what parts do I need to bring the IIGS up to snuff. And, if possible, how much I should expect to pay for them.

I know I'll need at least 4 megs of memory but I'm not sure which product to use to go about doing this.

I know there are several CPU accelerators for it but I know nothing about them.

I'll need a hard drive and I don't whether to go with some kind of hard card or the SCSI adapter and an external hard drive. I have no idea where I'd get a hardcard to fit the IIGS or an external hard drive that would work with the Apple SCSI adapter.

I tried a Macintosh RGB Monitor (that's exactly what it was called on the back) but that didn't work with the IIGS. I assume I'll have to get the RGB monitor that the thing originally was sold with. Are there any alternatives?

Are there ANY other upgrades I should get for it? Ultimately I'd like to be able to use Marianetti (sorry about the spelling) to get online with it, just for the sheer bizarreness. I'd also like to be able to hook up an inkjet printer and do some word processing with it (I'd love to write my papers for class on a IIGS). I also want to be able to run The Print Shop. And of course I want to run GS/OS and all of the nifty freeware that has been written for it.

Thanks very much for reading this!

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Have you tried the IIGS Fairway for some decent titles?

As for the "wire-twanging" bit, check out eBay for the latest-and-greatest bits and bobs available. Expect to pay bottom-dollar - those computers, although GREAT, have been deemed WAY obsolete - and the savings should be passed to you...

Go to Steve Wozniak's page - http://www.woz.org - as he may have some info/links/advice for your project...

...after all - it WAS his baby!

The legend himself may even answer an email from you!

Good luck!

:)

orporg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2004
Wire-twanging? I'm not sure I follow.

I did look on eBay and there's suprisingly little there. What I need is accessories not a whole new machine (which is mostly what's being sold). Plus shipping will simply murder me if I ship a monitor and machine.

I was hoping to acquire a monitor locally and pick up the other pieces from the Web.

What kind of upgrade path should I follow on the IIGS?

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.