Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mundy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Since I sold my iMac and purchased a Mac Pro, I don't have any usable speakers. The one inside the Mac Pro is pretty useless. So I need a set of good speakers to go with my Mac Pro, mainly for music or the occasional DVD.

Also, I'm about to purchase an Xbox 360, which I'm going to put on my computer desk and hook up to my 24" LCD via VGA. I want my computer speakers to also be compatible with the Xbox 360 (the audio cables on the Xbox VGA adapter are RCA), and if possible it would be nice to go back and forth between the computer and Xbox without having to mess with the wiring to get the speakers to work with either of them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi Mundy,

I can't speak highly enough of speakers by Audioengine.

http://audioengineusa.com/

They are a bit more expensive, but they sound fantastic, great customer service, free shipping (I think) and their self powered.

cheers,
keebler

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Geez. $350 for computer speakers?

I have a pair of logitech z-4's that do the trick just fine for me. Cost about $60 I think. They also come in white labelled as the z-4i.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
munckee, these aren't just computer speakers. they can be used for computers or for stereos or, as the op indicated, an xbox 360. they may be $350, but i bet the sound absolutely blows the logitechs. if i had just a computer, i might not use them for that, but given the excellent sound capabilities of a 360, they'd be worth it.

it's like everything. you get what you pay for. i know it's a lot, but the sound is phenomenal.

cheers,
keebler

Mundy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
munckee, these aren't just computer speakers. they can be used for computers or for stereos or, as the op indicated, an xbox 360. they may be $350, but i bet the sound absolutely blows the logitechs. if i had just a computer, i might not use them for that, but given the excellent sound capabilities of a 360, they'd be worth it.

it's like everything. you get what you pay for. i know it's a lot, but the sound is phenomenal.

cheers,
keebler

It's hard to tell from the website: do these speakers have both RCA and 3.5mm (1/8" stereo) jacks? I'll need both, the 1/8" for the Mac Pro and the RCA for the Xbox.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
It's hard to tell from the website: do these speakers have both RCA and 3.5mm (1/8" stereo) jacks? I'll need both, the 1/8" for the Mac Pro and the RCA for the Xbox.

definitely had the 1/8" b/c i have my ipod dock connected to it. no go for the rca's...i should have read your original msg better. sorry. i know you can plug an airport express right into the back, but i don't that will help you.
sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.