Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
My dad just got a bonus from his work, plus we finished refinancing our house to lower the monthly payments which were choking out budget.

Now we have enough spare ca$h to get a new computer (hopefully a Mac <crosses fingers>) and to replace out HP printer/scanner/fax/copy all in one which hasn't exactly lived up to our expectations.

What we'd like to get would be a seperate printer and scanner which will be used mostly for documents now, but a digital camera is also in the near future so they would also have to handle photos well and we don't want to spend over $150 for each.

What does everyone recommend?

bombensington

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2002
for a scanner, the canon lide 30 is a great low priced scanner. you can read the reviews in this month's macworld.

i have the canon N1240U (same kind of scanner, just a little bit older) - i have had a very good experience with it, not to mention it doesn't take up very much space.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Epson for the printer. Their photo quality prints on a $100 printer rival those of an HP for twice the cost. Their Mac support it fantastic.

I always used UMAX for scanners, in the past. Today I have an Epson for $99. The quality is great, but the software support was weak. I have not checked updated drivers in about three months, so who knows?

Dan

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Epson printers are great, but their only disadvantage is that you don't replace the print heads when you replace the cartriges. Because of this, if they get really dirty or damaged or something, you're stuck with a no-good printer. I had to do about 6 cleanings to get my Epson to print without leaving lines across the paper after not using it for a couple of months. If you're going to get an Epson, it's best to use it every once in a while... :cool:

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by alset
Epson for the printer. Their photo quality prints on a $100 printer rival those of an HP for twice the cost. Their Mac support it fantastic.

Dan

Don't get the Epson Stylus C42UX. It blows! I needed gimp print and a hammer to fix all the bugs and problems.

It bled on my pages and wouldn't print on speed or quality. So stupid.. :(

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
So for scanners, I've got one positive vote for a Canon Lide 30 and another positive for an Afga, and a UMAX.

For printers I've got two positives for Epson and one negative.

Anything else to consider?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.