Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinuxGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
a 3-Com Megahertz XJ10BT PCMCIA ethernet card.....
A Mac friend of mine from work is letting me play with his powerbook, and so far I am likeing it.........
But, if I had internet it would be even bigger fun......

I have never used a laptop before, let alone one with an PCMCIA nic.
Whne I stick the card in it tell me the software isn't there or something like that.

Do I need drivers with this (OS9) and will it even work, I think it should, but then again what do I know, I have a PC with Linux.....:D

Thanks for your time.......

bones

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2001
The 1400 doesn't support cardbus. Most recent PC cards won't work, you'll need one that is from the era of the 1400.

PB1400 also has an internal slot for an ethernet card, which you can get on ebay.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Yes, it will work as long as it is not labeled "CardBus", but a modem card should not be a problem. I am using a similar card in the 1400 I bought for my brother-in-law. If it didn't immediately recognnize the modem, then you need to go to the Apple Menu>Control Panels> Modem. You should be able to find your modem card there. If not, try the "generic" file. If that does not work, you will need to download a driver.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Gus

LinuxGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2003
No go in modems, and I see nothing for NIC's in there......
I will search 3COM's site and see what I can find.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.