Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Milanst88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2016
Should i buy a good condition MBP retina 2012 (2.7 i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM) for $1022 ???

im worried about the lifespan and or some hardware failure...but the price is really cheap.

what do you think guys? need as many opinion as possible.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
That's a pretty good price for that machine! It's almost top of the line. The only other thing that wasn't maxed out was the SSD. I had the same one but with a 750GB SSD. I sold mine last month for $1300.

Mine was pretty reliable. I got the display replaced because it had image retention/ghosting issues. After that, it was fine.

Apparently, some machines may have video card issues. However, if that happens, it is covered until the end of 2016.

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

Milanst88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2016
That's a pretty good price for that machine! It's almost top of the line. The only other thing that wasn't maxed out was the SSD. I had the same one but with a 750GB SSD. I sold mine last month for $1300.

Mine was pretty reliable. I got the display replaced because it had image retention/ghosting issues. After that, it was fine.

Apparently, some machines may have video card issues. However, if that happens, it is covered until the end of 2016.

https://www.apple.com/ca/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
How much do you pay for the display? And did yours have heat problem or not? Thanks for replying

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
How much do you pay for the display? And did yours have heat problem or not? Thanks for replying
The screen was covered under Applecare. However, I think if I had to pay, it would have been about $700. I did not have heat issues. However, I never really used the machine to its fullest capacity. I mainly use Aperture and Photoshop.

I actually downgraded machines. I'm on a 2012 2.3 cMBP and I can hardly tell any difference in speed. I installed a Samsung 850 PRO. The SSD in the 2012 rMBP is actually slower than the Samsung 850 PRO. I might have gained speed with my new setup.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Wouldn't pay for a 2012 rMBP. They're notorious for hardware failures, as I've had to bring mine in 5 separate times for logic board and graphics card failures. Buying one is a gamble, and spending >$1000 is not worth the gamble. I'd recommend spending a bit more for a refurbished 2014/2015 rMBP, or a MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.