Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Derbyshire, England
No, I don't want to get admin password at school or anything like that and I know that I might not get much of a responce from here but please listen.

My uncle works at rampton high security prison for the mentally ill, and a patient of his recently passed away, but he needs to get onto the computer. Its password protected and runs windows xp.

Is there anyway to get past this?

Thanks in advance

jake

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You'll need to find a password hacking or replacement software.

Not something you'll get too much help with around here, as MR doesn't want to knowingly support hacking/cracking. ;)

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
The real Administrator account on XP is only accessible through pressing F8 before the Windows startup screen and is often without password. You can use that to reset the password of the regular account.

If not then one of these methods should work, some are pay, some are free...

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Get or download and burn an Ubuntu live CD--I cannot remember the exact file to look for once you boot into the Linux OS you can route around the file system on the hard disk and find the password heck you might even be able to find the files you are looking for open up firefox and upload them to a server to retrieve later there are instructions someplace online for this if I remember that much correctly.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Get or download and burn an Ubuntu live CD--I cannot remember the exact file to look for once you boot into the Linux OS you can route around the file system on the hard disk and find the password heck you might even be able to find the files you are looking for open up firefox and upload them to a server to retrieve later there are instructions someplace online for this if I remember that much correctly.

That trick to get the password will not work because the password is stored in a encrypted format so it will be a no go on decrypting it.

The only way to get a password that way is if the user had an auto log on script running and even then it would be a hard file to find but if he had an autolog in script then this would not be an issue.

The OP best hope is to use that F8 trick and hope the guy did not change the default. I personally on my my XP computer deleted the orginally Administrator account and made a back up one. It makes it a lot harder to get into if you do not know the back up accounts name.

Also the other way to get the files is pull the hard drive plug it into another computer and just go into the folders. Unless he had it encrypted you can just pull the information off the Hard drive. I have done that a few times. Hell I threw in my parents old hard drive to pull pictures off of it and the account I was pulling it from was a password protect one. It was just protected enough to keep some one from logging in and screwing with the settings but the files were all out in the open.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Do you have the xp install disk. If you do then there is a loophole to get in. You could also try the following.

At the password screen hit ctrl + alt + del. A new password box pops up. Try entering Administrator as the username and password.

If that dosnt work then find the install disk and pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.