Need to learn C++, good online resources/books?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by ravenvii, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    I have a programming background. Not proficient, but have a working knowledge of C, Java (and hence OOP) and Python (in order from working to semi-working knowledge :)).

I need to learn C++ for a project. What are good books or online resources to get me going?

I'm a project-based learner (I can't learn **** from just reading a book, but a book (or online resource) that explains stuff, then have a series of exercises/mini-projects, is golden). So I'm hoping you guys can recommend a book or online resource like that for C++.
  2. subsonix macrumors 68040

Feb 2, 2008
    Get C++ Primer, it's a good book that should get you started.
  3. Spudhead macrumors member

Jul 23, 2013
    "C++ programming for the absolute beginner"

Brilliant book, lots of example codes to work through and online resources accompanying it. Readily available on Amazon.
  4. icedbullet macrumors newbie

Aug 4, 2013
    I have found to be a good resource. It has step by step videos and training files so that you can follow along to the videos. I found it useful because I learn more by actually doing something myself.

The only catch is that it isn't free.
  5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
  6. .eric macrumors member

Jul 30, 2013
    I prefer Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch. Just used it for an intro C++ class, and I actually enjoyed reading it and doing the exercises from it. It's easy to read and really helped me develop a basic understanding of C++.
  7. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2013
  8. laprej macrumors regular

Oct 14, 2005
    Troy, NY
    Koenig and Moo

My recommendation is Koenig and Moo's Accelerated C++. Published in 2000, it's a bit dated but treats C++ like its own language and not like C with classes. It doesn't get into all the nitty gritty details but you don't need those when you're starting out in my opinion. Rating very well on amazon:
  9. taedouni macrumors 65816

Jun 7, 2011
  10. MeFromHere macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2012
    Not for absolute C++ beginners, but this book will help you write C++ WELL:
    Effective C++, 3rd Edition, by Scott Myers​

After you've been writing C++ daily for a couple of months, you'll be ready to appreciate this book.
  11. SamMiller0 macrumors member

Aug 17, 2004
    San Jose, CA