Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
For the longest time, I've been using Windows 10 on a very cramped MacBook Air (the same one as in my sig) inside a VM (Parallels to be exact). Since my machine is letting a little long in the tooth and I'd just like to upgrade later this year when new hardware is released, I'd like to know what i'd have to do in order to continue using this MacBook Air as a Windows Machine for the few situations when I need to boot into a Windows Environment. I bought an official license of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft via a download and have since upgraded to Windows 10.

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
If you don't want OS X on your SSD and only Windows, then you will need to do three things.

1. Create a boot-able Windows USB using Boot Camp Assistant and a Windows ISO, this should also have the necessary Boot Camp drivers which you can check for at the root of the USB drive (Look for a 'Bootcamp' folder as well as something like WINPE-DRIVERS). If you want, make sure it boots as it will be hard to make another one after the next step.

2. Boot into Internet Recovery by holding down Option+Command+R and staring the computer, you will need to connect to a network over Wi-Fi (or Ethernet using an adapter). Once in Recovery open Disk Utility and erase the entire drive using the GUID Partition Table and MS-DOS (Fat32) as the file system.

3. Use the boot-able Windows USB you made to install Windows by inserting the USB, holding Option when the computer starts then selecting 'EFI Boot' (don't select 'Windows' or it will complain that the hard drive cannot be partitioned as 'GPT' once you get to the hard drive selection). When Windows install asks you to select the drive to install Windows onto, select the largest drive and select 'Drive Options (Advanced)' -> 'Format' then install Windows like normal. If all goes well you will have a MacBook Air with Windows as it's sole operating system.

As for your Windows 8.1 activation key, I am not sure that it will still work to activate Windows 10 even though you have upgraded in the past but might be worth the try.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
If you don't want OS X on your SSD and only Windows, then you will need to do three things.

1. Create a boot-able Windows USB using Boot Camp Assistant and a Windows ISO, this should also have the necessary Boot Camp drivers which you can check for at the root of the USB drive (Look for a 'Bootcamp' folder as well as something like WINPE-DRIVERS). If you want, make sure it boots as it will be hard to make another one after the next step.

2. Boot into Internet Recovery by holding down Option+Command+R and staring the computer, you will need to connect to a network over Wi-Fi (or Ethernet using an adapter). Once in Recovery open Disk Utility and erase the entire drive using the GUID Partition Table and MS-DOS (Fat32) as the file system.

3. Use the boot-able Windows USB you made to install Windows by inserting the USB, holding Option when the computer starts then selecting 'EFI Boot' (don't select 'Windows' or it will complain that the hard drive cannot be partitioned as 'GPT' once you get to the hard drive selection). When Windows install asks you to select the drive to install Windows onto, select the largest drive and select 'Drive Options (Advanced)' -> 'Format' then install Windows like normal. If all goes well you will have a MacBook Air with Windows as it's sole operating system.

As for your Windows 8.1 activation key, I am not sure that it will still work to activate Windows 10 even though you have upgraded in the past but might be worth the try.

My biggest concern is taking the license off my VM and reusing it for a dedicated machine. Is my license tied to my Microsoft account?

supermariofan25

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
My biggest concern is taking the license off my VM and reusing it for a dedicated machine. Is my license tied to my Microsoft account?
Do you have a licence key? How was it purchased?
[doublepost=1473433248][/doublepost]If you brought the Windows 8.1 activation through the Microsoft Store/Windows Store ,
  • Q: Where can I find my Product Key?
    A: Your Product Key will be provided with your purchase. However, if you need to find it again it is included on your confirmation email or in your Digital Content.

To find your Product Key:
    1. Sign in with your Microsoft account.
    2. In the menu select Digital Content
    3. Find your Windows 10 purchase and you can see your Product Key
- Microsoft Store - Frequently Asked Questions

Would be the same for Windows 8.1 and as for transferring from VM to device a licence brought from the Microsoft Store is a 'Retail' licence and can be transferred to as many different a machine as you would like however only the most recently activated machine will be activated and any previously activated machine will be deactivated.

Last edited:

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Do you have a licence key? How was it purchased?
[doublepost=1473433248][/doublepost]If you brought the Windows 8.1 activation through the Microsoft Store/Windows Store , - Microsoft Store - Frequently Asked Questions

Would be the same for Windows 8.1 and as for transferring from VM to device a licence brought from the Microsoft Store is a 'Retail' licence and can be transferred to as many different a machine as you would like however only the most recently activated machine will be activated and any previously activated machine will be deactivated.

I bought it the from the same course as you...close to two years ago I think. But you answered the big question, which is where can I find the product key. Thanks so much! You've been a big help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.