Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
hi guys.
my ipod has some weird problem. when i try to charge it has no reaction, battery on the screen doesn't show that it is charging. no matter if it's wall charger or computer. i've tried 3 different cables so that is not a problem.
when i turn it off and then plug charger, apple logo shows up and turns on as it should. however once it is on, it still not shows that it is plugged in.
Ipod still charges. bit slowly though. if i leave it plugged in for several hours, it charges fully. i could live with it, the real problem is that i cant connect it with itunes. it doesnt even show "itunes doesn't recognize". nothing happens when i plug ipod.
I cleaned charging port with alcohol and dried it. no result
I have no idea what could have caused this. 2 days ago in the morning it was charging well and later evening it didn't. i haven't dropped it or anything.
firmware is 5.1.1

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
hi guys.
my ipod has some weird problem. when i try to charge it has no reaction, battery on the screen doesn't show that it is charging. no matter if it's wall charger or computer. i've tried 3 different cables so that is not a problem.
when i turn it off and then plug charger, apple logo shows up and turns on as it should. however once it is on, it still not shows that it is plugged in.
Ipod still charges. bit slowly though. if i leave it plugged in for several hours, it charges fully. i could live with it, the real problem is that i cant connect it with itunes. it doesnt even show "itunes doesn't recognize". nothing happens when i plug ipod.
I cleaned charging port with alcohol and dried it. no result
I have no idea what could have caused this. 2 days ago in the morning it was charging well and later evening it didn't. i haven't dropped it or anything.
firmware is 5.1.1

I just say get another iPod. Not really worth the hassle. You can pick up 2nd and 3rd gens cheap. Try your local Craigslist or even eBay. If your feeling really nostalgic, you could go for a 1st gen...the audio chip in them is more favorable, so music quality would be better. Only dumb thing about those ones are no volume buttons.

tura

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
I just say get another iPod. Not really worth the hassle. You can pick up 2nd and 3rd gens cheap. Try your local Craigslist or even eBay. If your feeling really nostalgic, you could go for a 1st gen...the audio chip in them is more favorable, so music quality would be better. Only dumb thing about those ones are no volume buttons.
Mine is 64 gb which still cost good money. It served me 5 years and is in perfect condition, besides the problem above. So don't really want to change it unless it's beyond saving

I want to know what you guys think causes this problem.
In my opinion it is charging port. if so i can replace it.
I can replace battery too, but i don't see why itunes wouldn't show ipod, because of bad battery.
Or the problem isn't technical and something is wrong with the system. is this possible ?

venomgt95

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2014
Michigan
Mine is 64 gb which still cost good money. It served me 5 years and is in perfect condition, besides the problem above. So don't really want to change it unless it's beyond saving

I want to know what you guys think causes this problem.
In my opinion it is charging port. if so i can replace it.
I can replace battery too, but i don't see why itunes wouldn't show ipod, because of bad battery.
Or the problem isn't technical and something is wrong with the system. is this possible ?

I dunno if its a system thing, I mean, the latest version of iTunes still picks up my 3rd gen Classic.

If there isn't anything you don't mind losing, you could try doing a restore from recovery or DFU mode

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I cleaned charging port with alcohol and dried it.

Probably lint in the connector port which alcohol cleaning will not help. I carefully take a small pin / needle and scrape all the lint out. You have to be careful so you don't damage the pins. It's amazing how much lint you can scrape out of there :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.