Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
My existing eight smoke detectors (3300 sq foot house) are about to go terminal (8+ years old now) so I would love to replace them with these. I can even come close to justifying the cost because both my wife and myself have dealt with the dreaded 3AM alarm chirp from a detector with a low battery.

What I can't stomach is that $1000 worth of detectors will have to be thrown in the landfill after 7 years because the CO detector goes bad and you can't just replace the sensor components.

I do think that a version 2.0 of this could come out in another year or two where they do a hub and spoke design. Full featured detector for some areas of the home and cheaper satellites with a little less functionality for other areas.

They also have a lot of capability with this thing due to the motion detector to do things like secure your house when you are away on vacation.... I expect those features will get added over time. They could even add a cheap security camera to this thing with a fish-eye lens and it could function as a pretty good alarm setup.

In any event, can't justify shelling out $700 more than other alarms will cost me when these have a relatively short lifespan.

All of the alarms don't need to be from NEST :confused:

metier

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
I think this is pretty smart too - I love the thermostat - I'm sure this will be nifty too.

But I do find it very interesting that most thermostats (I know there are exceptions) are square, and they chose to use a round shape. Almost all smoke detectors are round, and they chose square... That's pretty funny to me - and I don't believe its coincidence either :)

But the square design wasn’t all about standing out on store shelves. "We will rarely make a decision purely for aesthetics," says Rogers. "We’re not building art, we’re building well-designed products." With the Protect, that meant a sharp focus on one thing. "It’s all about air flow," says Rogers. "Maximum air flow."
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/8/4790896/nest-protect-smoke-detector

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i tried to preorder a black one from the nest website but it says my payment was not authorized for all of my credit cards. the creditcards are fine because i ordered other stuff from the web with them after i tried to order the nest smoke detector.

did anyone else have that problem with the nest website? i want the black and that is only available at the nest website.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
In my state, you are actually required to put one in every bedroom, now. And many other rooms, too. Makes these advanced systems pretty pricey.

I was just wondering if you were considering put one nest on each floor and just the kiddie style in the other rooms?

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
CO detectors have a finite life of a maximum of approx 7 years. Quite a lot of money to throw out every 7 years.

This doesn't seem to be right. You have to bin the whole unit rather than just replacing the CO detector. This is really putting me off spending that much money on it.

BBlue777c

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
So it's still going to take batteries? What a stupid design.I've never seen before
kc0X8t
Do you even know how a smoke detector operates and how it has to comply with safety code? In the case of a smoke detector, do you even know what safety code implies technically speaking? Before saying such non-sense, why don't you look it up and then post an informed comment?

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
All of the alarms don't need to be from NEST :confused:

Since it appears they won't interconnect with any other brand, then all detectors would have to be $129 NEST Protects. Not sure if code requires a hard wire interconnect; NEST is only wireless interconnect.

Gary

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I smell version 2 already. Genius ideas. AirPlay. Intercom. Lockdown. All good

Yes I agree, all controlled and handled via iPhone/iPad app. All intergrated in the nest ecosystem. There's a lot of power in ecosystems and I think nest has an understanding of that per apple.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Got my nest protect today. Looks solid, works fine so far. But I also think there will be soon a version 2 with more functions or add on devices. Lots of potential at those high price points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.