Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
AT&T said:
FaceTime is available to all of our customers today over Wi-Fi, and we're now expanding its availability even further as an added benefit of our new Mobile Share data plans.

Dear AT&T,

Nice spin!

Sincerely,
RIM

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wow!!! Is FaceTime available to their Android customers too? Forget Samsung, Apple needs to sue AT&T for offering FaceTime to all their customers via WiFi.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
If you have unlimited data, buy your phones and stay off contract. I will never sign another contract with AT&fee.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
What I Learned In School

A bully punched me on the playground.
I went to complain to school administrators.
They said the next time he tries anything tell him "if you hit me you'll be in trouble"
He hit me anyway...

Lesson...it takes more than words to stop bullies.

AT&T is a bully and it will take more than some organization saying "bad AT&T" to change anything.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Wow. They act like FaceTime is their gift to us.

"We let them use it on WiFi, and now we give even more access!"

Right. I own my wireless router and time warner provides internet. Not you AT&T.

All I know is that AT&T won't be getting a contract renewal from me this year, no matter how awesome the new iPhone is.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
The reason they are probably doing this is to get all of the AT&T users who are still "grandfathered" on the older unlimited plans to loose those plans by signing up for the new shared one.
That's just sneaky and it deserves to be fought off!
It's just plain rotten of them!:mad:

And I'd almost be willing to bet that if you successfully fight them on making Facetime be usable on unlimited plans the unlimited plans will go away.

Therefore they will definitely get rid of the unlimited plans. I guess it's less sneaky and more outright but I prefer them being sneaky and still allowing me a way to keep my unlimited plan.

jeffreyropp

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2009
Easy to Bash AT&T....

....but Apple is complicit in this. By "partnering" with carriers and allowing them to decide what software is allowed to run on their networks, Apple is just as much to blame. AT&T might be the one authorizing your use, but its Apple enabling the controls.

That being said, I'm looking strongly at Verizon for this next upgrade cycle as well.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
You fools that keep thinking because "net neutrality" sounds nice that it's a good thing are IDIOTS. Do a little research and you'll find out that it's just another commie tactic to CONTROL what you can access via the net. It's a way way bad idea. Please wake the hell up. Here's a little info:

http://www.wnd.com/2009/10/113605/

Try looking to this organization and see who funds it instead of just drinking the kool-aid, which may or may not be flavored with cyanide.

Dude, you have no idea what you're talkign about. No one listen to his advice on this. Ridiculous.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Why am I being punished as a long-time customer for wanting to keep the plan I enrolled with?

Because you're letting it happen.

In your quest to always stay on the cutting-edge, you're upgrading your phone every year, and re-signing your junk contract.

The answer is to leave AT&T one way or another. Maybe that means not having an iPhone for a while, and joining a small-market cell service with unlimited everything. Maybe it means getting Sprint and waiting an extra year for your contract to expire, and just keep using your old iPhone. Whatever you do, it's up to you to force AT&T to treat their customers better.

Easier said than done, I know. I'm still using a 3GS. My contract is up in a month, and the iPhone 5 is coming out. I don't know where I'm going, but it sure as hell ain't AT&T.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Pay us for the privilege of telling you HOW to use your Data on our network.

Priceless.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011

On the FCC site the options for type of complaint are:

1) Transparency/disclosures of network management practices, performance characteristics, and terms and conditions of broadband service

2) Blocking of Internet content, applications, or services

3) Unreasonable discrimination in transmitting network traffic (throttling)

I'm not sure which is more applicable and there is no option for:

4) All of the above. LOL

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
The reason they do this is because they want more control over how much data is used on their network. By getting families onto these plans they ensure nobody can have unlimited data. They're using FaceTime to push the new plans, not using the new plans to keep FaceTime from competing with them.

Still evil though

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
What I'm wondering is how many of the "big boys" over at Cupertino are using AT&T as a provider. I bet Scott Forstall never had this problem. Which makes me think.. Do they have a slightly modified OS from the rest of us? OR do they just go ahead and pay more because they can afford to.

I am well aware that AT&T is their best distribution partner, but when is Apple going to stand up and voice on our behalf? It upsets me so much that it's us vs. AT&T and nobody steps in to fight this injustice with us.

Let's face it.. Alone, this conversation will last a little bit, and then fade away.. And we'll just have to live with no Facetime over 3G. But if Apple were to put the PR machine into full effect, this would be an all drawn battle which might make AT&T think twice about this.

I'm just saying... Where's the cavalry??

BTW, I have an unlimited data plan with two iPhones, as I purchased the #G back in October of 2008.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Well they are violating something. Like charging us for data and then charging again to use features available on our phones.

Crazy

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The cell providers are working to keep us in the past and away from TCP/IP. VoIP is their nightmare. I know I sound like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists you see around "9/11 was fake" videos on YouTube, but it's clear what they are doing here. They want to keep charging extra for text messages and audio.

People here should be freaking out more over SMS, their way of charging us ridiculous amounts of money for text messages, than over their war on VoIP. SMS is what they are doing here but much, much, much, much worse and for text instead of AV.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
"FaceTime is available to all of our customers today over Wi-Fi,"

Wow! Thanks!!

That PR statement is the epitome of carrier shadiness. Hey! Let's remind users that the all mighty AT&T allows them to use wifi! We are so kind, y'know!

:mad:

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
It's greedy not bandwith!

There will come a time when AT&T just says it's worth it to break customers contracts thus allowing them to go to a different carrier in order to preserve their bandwidth.

Rather than spend money on improving bandwidth.

In the end it's all about bandwidth.

Do you really believe the lies that these companies were saying that the bandwith cannot keep up with the demand. In other countries this is a non-issue, they don't even charge for tethering. Some third world countries don't charge incoming text messages, 8 years ago international text messages is part of your text messaging plan. Now they charge $.25 per outgoing international text messages. These US providers are the most greedy companies and they are dragging us. They are the reason why US is behind when it comes internet speed compared to some Asian and European countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.