Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think there will always be a market for real keyboards built in, and I think lots of people still want tons of storage, so I still think we'll see tiny laptops with mechanical HDDs and a decent celeron or Atom CPU for under 400 dollars.
I also see the market for those cheap Wal-mart/Fry's Electronics 15.6" laptops but they are crap. I can see they are crap. The specifications are not that bad but they builds are just plastic and the cheapest TN panel money can buy.

I picked up a Nexus 7 for $199 since it was not crummy hardware for that price point.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I also see the market for those cheap Wal-mart/Fry's Electronics 15.6" laptops but they are crap. I can see they are crap. The specifications are not that bad but they builds are just plastic and the cheapest TN panel money can buy.

I picked up a Nexus 7 for $199 since it was not crummy hardware for that price point.

Well for a basic user, they're more than fine. I've reccomended them to people I know who don't care about performance or speed.

I actually bought some random Compaq Laptop at Wal Mart for 220 dollars. Celeron B400, 4GBram, 550gbHDD, DVD RW, 15.something inch screen. About 4 hour battery life. Intel HD 4000.

Now, its a pile of crap, and I bought it as something I can take overseas if I need something bigger than a netbook, and need more power than a tablet.

But for a basic user? Why not?

----------

I am highly tempted by the Nexus 7. I don't think any other android tablet is close to as good at that price point.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well for a basic user, they're more than fine. I've reccomended them to people I know who don't care about performance or speed.

I actually bought some random Compaq Laptop at Wal Mart for 220 dollars. Celeron B400, 4GBram, 550gbHDD, DVD RW, 15.something inch screen. About 4 hour battery life. Intel HD 4000.

Now, its a pile of crap, and I bought it as something I can take overseas if I need something bigger than a netbook, and need more power than a tablet.

But for a basic user? Why not?
I started coming to this same conclusion earlier. That my prosumer/quality mindset was judging the value of the price point too harshly when it does offer a good amount of power for the basic user. You can get a Sandy Bridge based Celeron dual core notebook with h.264 decoding for really, really cheap.

I am highly tempted by the Nexus 7. I don't think any other android tablet is close to as good at that price point.
I think it is great. Chrome is nearly identical to its desktop counterpart and I can stream anime from my SMB shares.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I started coming to this same conclusion earlier. That my prosumer/quality mindset was judging the value of the price point too harshly when it does offer a good amount of power for the basic user. You can get a Sandy Bridge based Celeron dual core notebook with h.264 decoding for really, really cheap.

Yeah I mean, its hardly well made, cheap plastic/display/trackpad/keyboard. But spend 20 bucks on a mouse, and your good to go.

The basic user is fine with a 220-350 dollar laptop, they're reliable, rugged kuz of the cheap thick plastic, and do their jobs just fine. They are a no frills option, when mine isn't out overseas, I typically leave it in my garage to play music over my garage stereo when I work on my cars. A year old, nothing gone wrong so far.

It'll play Half Life: Orange box at high settings, old game but not bad for 220 dollar, and beats my 12 pound Alienware ( yeahhhhhh, my job needs some massive hardware )

I think it is great. Chrome is nearly identical to its desktop counterpart and I can stream anime from my SMB shares.

Indeed, I think Chromebooks will eventually catch on.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I think Microsoft's commercials have the right idea for once. A pad with a magnetic (and perhaps inductive powered?) attachable and/or flippable keyboard (i.e. It's a pad when you want it to be and a notebook when you want it to be). I don't like Microsoft forcing the pad OS (i.e. Windows8) for notebook mode, but this is where the current OSX state of affairs could really shine (i.e. we have a normally useless launchpad in OSX that might actually (with a few tweaks to configure it better) be useful in a "pad" mode.

In other words, why can't Apple make a notebook that can also run iPad software and operate as a tablet as well as a notebook? There's all this push to make iPads more powerful yet a MBP that can run iPad software would be ideal for someone that wants an iPad and a MBP. Why should you have to buy two separate items when we know iOS software can already run in a developer simulation. Just make it another option in OSX. The two are then merged, yet separate (i.e. all OSX computers are also iOS software capable, but not all iOS devices are OSX software capable). Frankly, I said from day one that OSX should be able to run iOS apps. The fact that many popular iOS games cannot run on a Mac (no Mac version) is ridiculous, IMO. There's no technical reason a Mac couldn't run iOS software. It could all be easily recompiled for Intel processors the same way you got free PPC binaries at one time with little extra effort when Universal came out.

If nothing else, I could play Pinball Fantasies on my Mac at home with a real keyboard without having to dig out an Amiga emulator (since I already have it on my iPod Touch, but the touch interface is less than ideal, IMO and so is the screen size).

As for Netbooks, I think it's more of size/form factor than anything else at this point. Intel is getting lower powered all the time and an i3 CPU is already pretty reasonably priced. Why use a slow Atom when you could have an i3 instead and just use it in a smaller case/monitor package?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Putting my money where my mouth is - I bought a Samsung Chromebook today and look forward to putting it through its paces. So far - love it...

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2012
I think Microsoft's commercials have the right idea for once. A pad with a magnetic (and perhaps inductive powered?) attachable and/or flippable keyboard (i.e. It's a pad when you want it to be and a notebook when you want it to be). I don't like Microsoft forcing the pad OS (i.e. Windows8) for notebook mode, but this is where the current OSX state of affairs could really shine (i.e. we have a normally useless launchpad in OSX that might actually (with a few tweaks to configure it better) be useful in a "pad" mode.

In other words, why can't Apple make a notebook that can also run iPad software and operate as a tablet as well as a notebook? There's all this push to make iPads more powerful yet a MBP that can run iPad software would be ideal for someone that wants an iPad and a MBP. Why should you have to buy two separate items when we know iOS software can already run in a developer simulation. Just make it another option in OSX. The two are then merged, yet separate (i.e. all OSX computers are also iOS software capable, but not all iOS devices are OSX software capable). Frankly, I said from day one that OSX should be able to run iOS apps. The fact that many popular iOS games cannot run on a Mac (no Mac version) is ridiculous, IMO. There's no technical reason a Mac couldn't run iOS software. It could all be easily recompiled for Intel processors the same way you got free PPC binaries at one time with little extra effort when Universal came out.

If nothing else, I could play Pinball Fantasies on my Mac at home with a real keyboard without having to dig out an Amiga emulator (since I already have it on my iPod Touch, but the touch interface is less than ideal, IMO and so is the screen size).

As for Netbooks, I think it's more of size/form factor than anything else at this point. Intel is getting lower powered all the time and an i3 CPU is already pretty reasonably priced. Why use a slow Atom when you could have an i3 instead and just use it in a smaller case/monitor package?

I think the ultimate solution is to convert iOS over to Intel X86 CPU's in the next year or so now that the target wattage for Haswell is so low, and the next iteration of Atom has some promise behind it.

I do agree it'd be amazing to have portability of some software between the form factors, but I don't EVER want to see the Windows 8 equivalent over on the Apple side. iOS should always remain a touch-first OS and OSX should remain the powerful dedicated desktop/notebook OS.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wasn't it not till the third gen before they had backlit keyboards on the Air's?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air's are not as powerful as people make out, sure they can do everything any other Mac can but a lot slower.. I remember testing online Quake on a 11" Air in a mac store once and still stuttered. Thankfully they've updated it since then.

13" Air is a nice compromise I think.

The first gen had a backlit keyboard but then they removed it for some reason in the 2010 ones which had the same design as the ones today. The backlit keyboard was added back in the 2010s.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Thanks for your comments. It bears looking into iWork again, as I haven't really looked at it in probably 5-6 years. I did briefly try it in ~2008 time frame when I bought my iMac and that's when I bought Office for Mac. I haven't been able to justify spending the $120 on Office 2011, and just keep using the old version when I get newer Macs.

I don't think you'll get disappointed... :D

psxtreme

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
The biggest problem with netbooks is Windows. The first problem is just the economics of procuring Windows licensing which becomes a large percentage of the price on a $199 machine. The other problem is performance, Windows is simply not meant to run on low-spec devices. The original "netbook" didn't even ship with Windows but with a custom Linux build IIRC. Now we have ChromeOS and Chromebooks. While the term "netbook" might be dead I think Chromebooks are interesting and are the continuation of the netbook lineage.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
This might as well be the thread where I ask whether I should get my dad a Macbook Air to replace his netbook.

Here is my dad's situation:

He's 68, but still young at heart, likes to think of himself as up to date with technology. Lifelong Windows user, has a bug up his ass about Apple products, especially Macs. I think it's the fact that he is a retired civil engineer and really used to the Windows OS and has never considered anything different. Lately he's become a google fanboy of sorts, and has a Nexus 7, Android phone, and thinks google is the bees' knees.

But he's suffering right now with a 3-4 year old crappy HP netbook and I just cringe when I see him use it. That thing is so slow and has such a crappy screen. I want to get him a new computer for his birthday in April and he insists he wants a chromebook. I was thinking if I got him a MBA he would see how light, easy to use the Mac OS is, and end up liking the gift. But I'm also afraid to buy him a Mac and have him totally reject it.

You think this is a good idea?

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
This might as well be the thread where I ask whether I should get my dad a Macbook Air to replace his netbook.

He's 68, but still young at heart, likes to think of himself as up to date with technology. Lifelong Windows user, has a bug up his ass about Apple products, especially Macs. I think it's the fact that he is a retired civil engineer and really used to the Windows OS and has never considered anything different. Lately he's become a google fanboy of sorts, and has a Nexus 7, Android phone, and thinks google is the bees' knees.

But he's suffering right now with a 3-4 year old crappy HP netbook and I just cringe when I see him use it. That thing is so slow and has such a crappy screen. I want to get him a new computer for his birthday in April and he insists he wants a chromebook. I was thinking if I got him a MBA he would see how light, easy to use the Mac OS is, and end up liking the gift. But I'm also afraid to buy him a Mac and have him totally reject it.

The question is, is he willing to learn and adapt to a new OS environment?

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
The question is, is he willing to learn and adapt to a new OS environment?

My dad is really smart and I'm sure could adapt to any OS. He just is "against" Apple products but he definitely needs a lightweight netbook type computer and I'm thinking the MBA would really suit his computer needs (mostly surfing the web, email, making some minor documents). He travels quite a bit to visit his sister in Canada (he lives in NJ) and also goes back to Taiwan a bit. The MBA would be perfect for him, I'm just afraid he'll reject it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
My dad is really smart and I'm sure could adapt to any OS. He just is "against" Apple products but he definitely needs a lightweight netbook type computer and I'm thinking the MBA would really suit his computer needs (mostly surfing the web, email, making some minor documents). He travels quite a bit to visit his sister in Canada (he lives in NJ) and also goes back to Taiwan a bit. The MBA would be perfect for him, I'm just afraid he'll reject it.

Then go for an Asus Zenbook or whatever else Ultrabook exists if all you're after is the form factor. There are plenty of lightweight 11" or 13" computers out there.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Smart man, Google does indeed run the most advanced mobile operating system.

But I'd still try the mba, it's a great netbook that doesn't actually suck lol

He's get used to it, gene probably switch over to Mac everything except phones like I'm in the process of doing

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It's called plugging one in a USB port. You can't plug a mouse into an iPad no matter how hard you try nor would it do you any good if you could seeing you can't run the full version of OSX.
Should've known. You just want to rant without thought or logic.

I'll shut up now.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

People defending netbooks. 1 vote for stupidest thread ever.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

That's a pretty obnoxious comment to make. I wouldn't say the netbook is of value for many or most. But they definitely are worthy of defending for those people that benefit from using them.

Just because a netbook makes no sense for you or your use case doesn't make defending it or those that do part of a "stupid" thread.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
That's a pretty obnoxious comment to make. I wouldn't say the netbook is of value for many or most. But they definitely are worthy of defending for those people that benefit from using them.

Just because a netbook makes no sense for you or your use case doesn't make defending it or those that do part of a "stupid" thread.

Reading minds again, Sam? It's still not working.

Tip: You may not know what I am thinking.

Really don't understand how you don't get that. You sure say it to everyone else often enough.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Reading minds again, Sam? It's still not working.

Tip: You may not know what I am thinking.

Really don't understand how you don't get that. You sure say it to everyone else often enough.

Then by all means - explain your last comment to me/us. I would love to hear your thoughts.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
not surprised to see this. although i always thought it'd be nice to have a netbook, i never actually owned one. i do own an iPad and a Macbook Air however

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
The whole notebook industry is dead. The market is at this point simply saturated and everyone has moved on to more mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. Notebooks are basically for the niche now. The MBA13, MBP15 retina and some high-end business PC laptops would probably still sell in this market but any other laptop not.

Why would you still invest in $2200 MBP when you can buy a better desktop+smartphone+tablet for the same amount.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The whole notebook industry is dead. The market is at this point simply saturated and everyone has moved on to more mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. Notebooks are basically for the niche now. The MBA13, MBP15 retina and some high-end business PC laptops would probably still sell in this market but any other laptop not.

Why would you still invest in $2200 MBP when you can buy a better desktop+smartphone+tablet for the same amount.

Not to rain on your parade, but laptops now sell much more units than desktops. Even at home, people don't want desktops anymore. I haven't used a desktop in I don't know how many years, the laptop is just more convenient (can sit at a desk, bring it downstairs, etc..).

A tablet or smartphone won't change that, people won't go back to desktops now that they've had a taste of laptops.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Should've known. You just want to rant without thought or logic.

Seeing as you are calling a two line reply a "rant" and that my reply was accurate, I'd say your problems are much bigger than not just liking Netbooks. My netbook's built-in keyboard has full sized keys and a mouse or any USB keyboard is just a plug away. iOS can use bluetooth keyboards, but it's not designed for mice and it cannot run OSX software (only iOS apps) and it costs twice as much baseline. And then there's the 32GB maximum storage versus up to 1TB internal on the Netbook plus 2GB of ram, the option to use Ethernet or 802.11N network connections and two monitors at the same time with the video-out port (plus built-in screen) and not just mirroring like Airplay. And it cost me all of $300 (vs $600+ for an iPad).

How you can even think of that as not logical leads me to conclude you are simply trolling.

Imagine that. Not everyone shares the same opinion as you. Welcome to the real world that doesn't revolve around you. :cool:

Why would you buy a better desktop when desktops were declared dead several years back? I mean it's circular logic. You buy what you need. No smart phone or desktop makes for a portable recording studio like my Macbook Pro does. But like any computer, they do get old and eventually need replaced (desktop OR notebook and that's definitely true of smartphones and tablets that don't get software update in as little as two years time and then you're expected to buy ANOTHER one or do without the latest software in many cases).

As for this price you're throwing around, I would make the argument that owning an iPhone costs on the order of over $800 a year plus any initial price not covered by the subsidy. Basically, you could buy that Macbook Pro every two years for the price of just the smart phone (let alone this supposed desktop and tablet you somehow imagine you can get for the same price as the Macbook Pro). I don't think you considered the actual cost of owning a smartphone. It's why given the few calls I actually make mobile, I just own a pre-pay phone (~$8 a month) and use my savings to buy other things instead (bought the MBP in late 2008 and just bought a new Mac Mini Server Quad i7 last month. I've gotten two iPod Touches in that time as well and even one iPhone with 4-years worth of monthly charges would have cost me that much or more with everything ($1600+$1100+600 vs $840x4 years+$199 for the initial phone and that's note even a top of the line one and I still have enough left over to buy this Dell Netbook I hacked to run OSX) for about the same price.

For those that need or even just want a smart phone, fine. But realize how much it's actually costing you.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Not to rain on your parade, but laptops now sell much more units than desktops. Even at home, people don't want desktops anymore. I haven't used a desktop in I don't know how many years, the laptop is just more convenient (can sit at a desk, bring it downstairs, etc..).

A tablet or smartphone won't change that, people won't go back to desktops now that they've had a taste of laptops.

I totally disagree.

Laptop keyboards suck, no mouse, can't upgrade it nearly as easily, some things you just can't leave a desk top for

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.