Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Public Beta2 and I still can't get Netflix to play in html5. Still getting the error code as before.

I'm using a late 2012 Mac Mini.

Anybody have suggestions on whats going on?

blahbrah

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2006
Does anyone else know if the HD icon is supposed to be missing in the control bar? I can't see it but the videos played in HD yesterday before I installed the Public Beta are playing in what appears to be HD.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Public Beta2 and I still can't get Netflix to play in html5. Still getting the error code as before.

I'm using a late 2012 Mac Mini.

Anybody have suggestions on whats going on?

No clue, I didn't do anything special. Wasn't even on my radar.
Just checked. Mine is working fine, Youtube automatically detected and used html5 player. 2011 Mac Mini.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I think it's just netflix because Youtube works ok on mine too.
haha crap, I read your original post as Youtube. :eek:

Right click in Youtube, get a menu that clearly indicates HTML5 Player.

Right click here in Netflix, no popup menu, nothing that specifically indicates HTML5.

But Netflix works, and I don't have Silverlight... Assume HTML5???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 3.55.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 3.55.41 PM.png
    886.7 KB · Views: 199

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
haha crap, I read your original post as Youtube. :eek:

Netflix works, and I don't have Silverlight. But it works... Assume HTML5?
Right click here in Netflix, no popup menu, nothing that specifically indicates HTML5.

Right click in Youtube, get a menu that clearly indicates HTML5 Player.

???

How is your monitor hooked up. I have mine running from Thunderbolt to HDMI.
I think that may be the problem.
It may need to go HDMI to HDMI.
I get some sort of monitor error from Netflix.

If you have the 2011 you have the graphics card that may make the difference.

If you do not have Silverlight installed you are getting HTML5

I'll try running it through the TV and see if that works.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
HTML5 Netflix has been working great on PB1 and PB2, Youtube automatically goes to HTML5 as well. Now if only BBC iPlayer was in HTML5 I could ditch Flash for good. It's still difficult to understand how much more efficient HTML5 is over Flash. With Flash my Mac heats up like crazy, fans are going, battery lasts like 1 and a half hours. With HTML5 I barely notice my battery going down, it's like it's not even doing anything.

Yosemite is worth it just for that. But throw in a nice new UI and awesome continuity features which I can't wait to try out then it's an exceptional OS.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I figured out how to play HTML5 through my late 2012 Mini. Netflix will only play through a straight HDMI to HDMI connection.

I was trying to use a thunderbolt to HDMI cable and it did not like it.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
How is your monitor hooked up. I have mine running from Thunderbolt to HDMI.
I think that may be the problem.
It may need to go HDMI to HDMI.
I get some sort of monitor error from Netflix.

If you have the 2011 you have the graphics card that may make the difference.

If you do not have Silverlight installed you are getting HTML5

I'll try running it through the TV and see if that works.

HDMI adapter to DVI.
Though my display does support HDCP, unsure about via its DVI port.

Red Fox

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Seattle
Netflix HTML5 works with 10.6 and Chrome!

is this something that chrome will be able to support eventually? hopefully not require QuickSync?

Yes, it does work with Chrome. In fact, it works with Chrome with 10.6 and with pre-Sandy Bridge machines! You do NOT need Yosemite, and you do NOT need a QuickSync / Sandy Bridge machine!

I am SO relieved! Netlfix HTML5 works great with Chrome and Snow Leopard. I knew Chrome would have a use, someday...

Spread the word!

kave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
So fantastic that the HTML5 player works in Chrome !! I can't believe why Apple won't allow it in Safari on Mavericks or older Computers. It seems HTML5 uses much less CPU that the crappy Silverlight crap plugin.

Last edited:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Can anyone confirm HTML5 works natively with Yosemite on a 2013 Mac Pro?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I am SO relieved! Netlfix HTML5 works great with Chrome and Snow Leopard. I knew Chrome would have a use, someday...

Spread the word!

So fantastic that the HTML5 player works in Chrome !! I can't believe why Apple won't allow it in Safari on Mavericks or older Computers. It seems HTML5 uses much less CPU that the crappy Silverlight crap plugin.

It’s not actually HTML5. I’ve read that Chrome uses a plugin called Widevine that works similar to Silverlight or Adobe Flash but is not as crappy performance-wise. Netflix is one of the services that happens to support it. Nevertheless, it does run a lot better than Silverlight on my 2008 MacBook.

Graig

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
WideVine

I was speaking to someone on Netflix Help and told him I am using Silverlight and would like to start using HTML5. First he wanted me to use Chrome But as I use Safari on my Mac and Firefox on My PC he suggested Googles WideVine. Has anyone tried this?

Just noticed the post above mine but would like to hear more user input.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I was speaking to someone on Netflix Help and told him I am using Silverlight and would like to start using HTML5. First he wanted me to use Chrome But as I use Safari on my Mac and Firefox on My PC he suggested Googles WideVine. Has anyone tried this?

If you want to use Safari then uninstall Siverlight. Go to your Netflix settings and Check the viewing preferences to HTML5.

It should work then.

Chrome works well too.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008

Just noticed the post above mine but would like to hear more user input.

You can only use Netflix HTML5 if your Mac supports it, older hardware doesn’t. If so, you just need to follow Crosscreek’s advice. The only other alternatives, on a Mac at least, are Silverlight and Google Chrome. Widevine is installed in the latest versions of Chrome (if not, go to chrome://components/ in Chrome and check for ‘WidevineCdm’). Widevine is as much a proprietary plugin as Silverlight or Flash, the only differences are that this specific plugin is supported by Netflix, implemented directly into Chrome and has pretty decent performance, compared to Silverlight. But it’s not HTML5.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Widevine is as much a proprietary plugin as Silverlight or Flash, the only differences are that this specific plugin is supported by Netflix, implemented directly into Chrome and has pretty decent performance, compared to Silverlight. But it’s not HTML5.

You're absolutely wrong and forget about Widevine. Widevine is just handling the DRM.

On older Macs, Chrome will off-load the video decoding to software, which uses more CPU and therefore more power. Apple could have supported older Macs but did not want to make this compromise.

It's as simple as that - Chrome is doing HTML5 video and just using Widevine for DRM. On recent Macs the video is decoded in the iGPU, on older ones it is done in CPU.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.