Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r3volution11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD
At first Netflix appeared to run fine but after letting a movie timeout (paused for a long period of time) it now will no longer play a movie. It gives an error with code S7053-1803.

Has anyone else experienced this error? If so, have you found a fix?

I've tried clearing the cache, deleting all local storage including cookies and nothing has worked so far. I've also tried simply restarting hoping it was just something "stuck" but no luck.

town3r

macrumors demi-god
Jul 15, 2012
Madison, WI
I'm having the same issue. It was working great last night. Tonight not so much. It instantly gives the following error:

Whoops, something went wrong...
Unexpected Error
There was an unexpected error. Please reload the page and try again.

Error Code: S7053-1803

Chatted with Support and they are going to have someone look into it for me.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
No problems here, it might be on Netflix's side. I've seen these errors before and it just Netflix glitching out a few times.

thegrither

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2015
I had a problem with my netflix also, if you go into preferences in safari, hit the little square that allows the developer option in the top toolbar, than switch it to the past safari, i think its 8.1.3 or something,
that got my netflix working again, until they fix the bug that allows netflix to work.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I tried the develop menu and that didn't work for me. Worked yesterday for 1 video. Today I get the dreaded error message.

I ended up installing Chrome and updating 1 component (when you try a video, it'll tell you how to do it). Now I can watch videos this way until Safari/Netflix play well together on OS X 10.11.

Last edited:

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I tried the develop menu and that didn't work for me. Worked yesterday for 1 video. Today I get the dreaded error message.

I ended up installing Chrome and updating 1 component (when you try a video, it'll tell you how to do it). Now I can watch videos this way until Safari/Netflix play well together on OS X 10.11.

Which video didn't work for you, so I can try it.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm running Netflix in a side by side with 2 Safari windows open and it's working perfectly so far. I'll watch a couple of shows and see how it works out. If it's all good, I'll shutdown and reboot to see what's happening.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Updated: Initially, there were no issues but if you pause and restart, it then results into the error. So, confirmed here as well. I can't even fix it by trying to start from the beginning as it results into an error right away.

Last edited:

OJCDEV

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2013
I'm having this problem too. I'm using safari with the develop tab to force Safari 7.1. It's the only way I can get it to work! Any help or fixes will be appreciated!!

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well it must have something to do with hardware configurations, I've been watching Netflix for hours. I've suspended playback and put the machine to sleep several times. The Movies all restart just like they always have.

jas07

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Im getting the same issue as well, changing User Agent hasn't worked for me.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
It worked fine 2 nights ago when I first installed El Capitan on my MacBook. Then about an hour in I got the error and it hasn't worked since. Chrome in unbelievably horrible on El Capitan for me as well.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
It's been working all day here. Several pauses, sleep cycles, and reboots. I'll check t again tomorrow.

Oh, I did have to update both Flash and Silverlight today, perhaps that has something to do with it.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
It's been working all day here. Several pauses, sleep cycles, and reboots. I'll check t again tomorrow.

Oh, I did have to update both Flash and Silverlight today, perhaps that has something to do with it.

Netflix doesn't use either in Safari, it's native HTML5 video.

It is possible the issue is due to DRM changes they made in Safari. I seem to recall they added FairPlay DRM for streaming.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Netflix doesn't use either in Safari, it's native HTML5 video.

It is possible the issue is due to DRM changes they made in Safari. I seem to recall they added FairPlay DRM for streaming.

My system doesn't support Netflix HTML5. It requires Silverlight here. Perhaps only the HTML5 users are having a problem. Safari has to have an iCore prosessor for video acceleration of Netflix, I have a Xeon processor..

Last edited:

r3volution11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD
Turning on the developer menu and changing the user agent to Safari 7 gets it working for me. However the only reason it works is because it starts utilizing Silverlight again which is a CPU hogger.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I'm having the same issue. Netflix isn't working. Using Safari 7.1/Silverlight in developer mode works...isn't very pretty

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I'm having the same issue. It was working great last night. Tonight not so much. It instantly gives the following error:

Whoops, something went wrong...
Unexpected Error
There was an unexpected error. Please reload the page and try again.

Error Code: S7053-1803

Chatted with Support and they are going to have someone look into it for me.
If you Google that issue you'll find that all you need to do is delete the Netflix cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Details > Search for 'Netflix' > Click on 'Netflix' and Click 'Remove All'

I was having the same problem, but doing the above got it all working again

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
If you Google that issue you'll find that all you need to do is delete the Netflix cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Details > Search for 'Netflix' > Click on 'Netflix' and Click 'Remove All'

I was having the same problem, but doing the above got it all working again
Yeah, except that didn't work at all for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.