Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
Looking for help in the ‘windows 2000 – XP’ folder-sharing area, because the Mac portion of my ‘network’ works just fine (no surprise there! ;) ). I would be happy if somebody can point me to a nice forum like this for the Wintel plaform. Whatever I found on the net seems to be the ‘expert network’ kind (where you collect and pay in some points :rolleyes: ).

Still, for the curious, here is the problem :

I added my new wintel desktop to my existing Netgear router network and have problems sharing with my wintel laptop.
Laptop : windows 2000. Desktop : XP Pro. (iMac : Panther).

I attached the desktop to the router directly with a cable; the laptop and the iMac connect wirelessly. All three access the internet without issue. I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the wintel machines. I shared a folder on both to be visible/accessible to the others (rights to ‘everyone’). I am able to ‘see’ every machine on each of the others. I am even able to access the iMac from both the wintels!

BUT, I am unable to see the laptop’s shared folder itself from the desktop, or the desktop’s shared folder from the laptop. I am able to ping the machine, see it (the machine) in network neighbourhood, but not the shared folder. When I try to manually map it (\\laptop\shared), it says ‘unable to access’.
I changed the ZoneAlarm settings to include all the machines in the ‘trusted zone’, then even disabled ZoneAlarm totally. I even disabled Norton AutoProtect. No good.

Needless to say, I have rebooted ad infinitum, fiddled with the sharing attributes, kneeled in front of it and prayed sincerely, but to no avail :( what am I missing? Or maybe more to the point, what particular quirk of XP/2000 do I need to know to get this running?

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
kingjr3 said:
Are both machines in the same workgroup? If not, try that.
sorry, forgot to mention that: single workgroup name for all machines. like i said, i am able to browse and see the machines, just not the shared folder.

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
kingjr3 said:
Are both machines configured with usernames AND passwords? I believe they need to be to share files.
well...no. the users don't have passwords. i did see edesignuk's sticky about networking with Macs and the emphasis on passwords, but when i saw that these are able to talk to the iMac with no password, i thought that maybe it would work between the XP / 2000 too.

i can check that out this evening. thanks. anything else to try out?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Not really, Im pretty sure the password thingy should fix it for you. M$ takes security pretty seriously (minus the usual exploits) and requires in XP/2000 that there must be usernames/passwords in order to view files.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i don't have a definitive answer, but it may something to do w/ what are possibly different sets of IP addresses for the machines. is the router handing out IPs like 192.168.1.1 for the wired, and 10.10.10.1 for the wireless?

and for everyone else -- i too would like to find a forum such as this for PCs.

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
zimv20 said:
i tried registering, but someone already has my screenname. damn!
:D

the ip addresses are in sync : 192.168.0.4 for the new machine (right behind the ones for the earlier ones).

radhak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2003
NJ, USA
I forgot to close this, as an FYI:
found out the problem was that the Netgear router had re-arranged the ip addresses: the new machine was given the ip address 192.168.0.3 while the older thinkpad’s ip address was changed to 192.168.0.4; since I had always been seeing the list of ip address for all 3 machines as per expectation, I never checked individual addresses and was trying to access all wrong folders under wrong machines….:( but finally figured it out :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.