Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
I have no idea what to do with network from system preference. I put automatic mode for location but only wifi works while thunderbolt to ethernet is not working. It did work if I use 'Assist me' to create another location. But now, thunderbolt to ethernet is completely not working at all. Wifi is slower than the ethernet and I need to find a solution. What should I do?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you know for sure TB ethernet is not working, os could it be that the wifi is just taking precedence over the ethernet connection. To make the ethernet take priority, go to the Network pane in System Preferences and click the little cog at the bottom. Then click set service order, then drag ethernet to the top and save.

Does that help?

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 4.22.36 PM.png

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
Do you know for sure TB ethernet is not working, os could it be that the wifi is just taking precedence over the ethernet connection. To make the ethernet take priority, go to the Network pane in System Preferences and click the little cog at the bottom. Then click set service order, then drag ethernet to the top and save.

Does that help?

View attachment 632959

It kept saying that it's not plugged in. IDK why.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Maybe it is "not plugged in" :D
Is the ethernet cable plugged in to an active connection, either a hub or switch, maybe on a router?
Make sure to try reseating the adapter at the thunderbolt connection.
Maybe the adapter is just a dodgy one. Try a different adapter, too.

mavericks7913

Suspended
Original poster
May 17, 2014
Maybe it is "not plugged in" :D
Is the ethernet cable plugged in to an active connection, either a hub or switch, maybe on a router?
Make sure to try reseating the adapter at the thunderbolt connection.
Maybe the adapter is just a dodgy one. Try a different adapter, too.

It is plugged in! If the adapter is not working, I'm doom...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
There's 3 connections, eh?
thunderbolt (on the Mac) - Ethernet (on the adapter) and ethernet (on your router/etc)
reseat everything (really!)
Restart your Mac.
Finally, your router should show that the ethernet port on the router is Active, probably with a light on the front of the router. Unplug the ethernet at the router, then plug back in to see which light should be on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.