Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lonegeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
I just relized this today... If i have a windows pc sharing a hard drive with ntfs ... can i mount this as a network drive in osx...?

Thanks Zach

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
yes. (as long as the sharing is set up properly in Windows, and, obviously, the Windows box is on). Across the network the file system is (mostly) irrelevant, as it's the host that does the interfacing on behalf of the network.

You should be able to pick up the PC in Finder>Network easy enough, or if that fails through "Connect to server" (apple-K) with smb://[pc ip address eg 192.168.0.10]/sharename.

Macs belong to the Windows workgroup "WORKGROUP" by default, but you can change that in Directory Access to match the PC's workgroup if it's something different. Enable Windows Sharing in the Sharing prefs if you want the PC to be able to see the mac.

Open Directory Access (in /Applications/Utilities).
If necessary, click the lock icon and type the name and password for an administrator user on your computer.
Double-click SMB/CIFS in the list and type the new workgroup name in the dialog, then click OK.

You can even mount NTFS drives directly on X, but you can't write to them.

lonegeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
frankblundt said:
yes. (as long as the sharing is set up properly in Windows, and, obviously, the Windows box is on). Across the network the file system is (mostly) irrelevant, as it's the host that does the interfacing on behalf of the network.

You should be able to pick up the PC in Finder>Network easy enough, or if that fails through "Connect to server" (apple-K) with smb://[pc ip address eg 192.168.0.10]/sharename.

Macs belong to the Windows workgroup "WORKGROUP" by default, but you can change that in Directory Access to match the PC's workgroup if it's something different. Enable Windows Sharing in the Sharing prefs if you want the PC to be able to see the mac.

You can even mount NTFS drives directly on X, but you can't write to them.

Well i can i mount it as a network drive? i need to be able to write to it....

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
lonegeek said:
Well i can i mount it as a network drive? i need to be able to write to it....
If the rights and permissions are set up you can write to a networked NTFS drive, even though you couldn't if it was hooked up locally. Just remember that the remote user need to have access both to the network share and the files in the shared directory.

B

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
sorry. should have just put "yes" on it's own.

Finder > Go menu > Network on the mac should show your PC under a folder called Workgroup.

Double-click on the PC name to open it.

It'll probably ask you for username password, which you can leave blank if it's just a straight "let anyone do anything" share on windows.

The PC shared folder should open as a Finder window and appear as a network drive icon on your desktop.

lonegeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
So basically if its working in windows now...(as a shared drive) it will work on a mac....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.