Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sowlerrmgh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
I want to connect to a network but when I connect it asks me for a WEP Password but this network does not have a WEP password. How can I connect ot this network without the password?

Thank You

Richard Sowler

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Sounds like you are trying to log into a WEP encripted wireless network.

Need the password if you want to use it. If this is a home network, hook your mac into the router with a network cord, and check the settings for WEP encription and turn it off if it is on.

sowlerrmgh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
It is a school network and it for windows comouters but they do not have a WEP key

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
It's hard to help without at least some specific information - but I am wondering if you're actually connecting to some rogue access point someone has out there. Try using "Internet Connect" and manually typing in the name of the network.

Also, if you have an Airport card (not Airport Extreme) and your school's network uses a short preamble, you are out of luck.

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Westside guy said:
It's hard to help without at least some specific information - but I am wondering if you're actually connecting to some rogue access point someone has out there. Try using "Internet Connect" and manually typing in the name of the network.

Also, if you have an Airport card (not Airport Extreme) and your school's network uses a short preamble, you are out of luck.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute.

I use Short Preamble on both my D-Link routers at my house and have not a single problem connecting to them with my Airport Card.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this -- could you provide some additional information?

Last I heard preamble size is part of the 802.11b/g specification, and if Apple markets their cards as 802.11b then they much meet short/long preamble requirements. Like I said, I've never heard of this (and use it all the time).

EDIT: Anyway the moral of the story is this. If it asks for WEP then the router is requesting it. It will only ask for it when the router requests it. The PC users may have special software installed by the school that automatically provide the WEP code to Windows... think that is the case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.