Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
ive got a rev c powerbook and an emac both sharing the internet via airport extreme, now when i start sharing files it takes quite a while, so im assuming that im transfering them via the internet... can i transfer then via the basestation at 54mbps??? it really would help...because its saing 4hours for a 193mb file and its should take nearer 4 seconds... can you help or put me straight...thanks in advance :D

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
Well it will only operate at 54mbps if BOTH the PowerBook and the eMac have AirPort Extreme. If the PowerBook only has regular AirPort (802.11b) and the eMac has AirPort Extreme (802.11g), or visa versa, then it will only operate at 11mbps (802.11b speed), but if both the PowerBook and the eMac have 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) cards in them then the base station will operate at full speed. Now it won't be 54mbps as thats the max it will run. It will be more like 20 or 25mbps max. Just like FireWire is rated at 400mpbs, but actually it runs much lower than that.

I've also found that transferring files through wireless can take longer than if I just used Etherent or IP over FireWire.You can use IP over FireWire if you have Mac OS X.3 (Panther). If you need help setting that up, just ask.

You do know that you can just use a regular patch ethernet cable to connect your PowerBook to your eMac to transfer large files over. New(er) Macs have a special ethernet port that will crossover the signal when needed. So thats always an option!

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
OK in order to share files you will need to switch on the Personal File Sharing on one of the computers, or both

go to System Prefs / Sharing / Services and click on the file sharing service

Now from the other computer go to the Network button in sidebar of the Finder window, you should hopefully see your other computer there

If not then press Command K (in the Finder) and type in the computer's IP and that should do it too

double click or press connect (which ever view your in) and you will need to enter the Admin name and password for that computer, once your done there select the drive you want and it should appear in the sidebar of the Finder and on the desktop

give us a shout if you have problems :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I think I've had the same slowness in moving files too

I have just switched from my iBook to my new PowerBook G4 and I noticed that when transfering files from one to the other that it also took ages to do

it is werid because if:

PowerBook was sharing to the iBook it would be slow (as in I was using iBook to move files to PowerBook)

but

if iBook was sharing to PowerBook it would be fine (as in using PowerBook to get files from iBook)

Or something like that

Anyone know whats up?

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Darwin said:
OK in order to share files you will need to switch on the Personal File Sharing on one of the computers, or both

go to System Prefs / Sharing / Services and click on the file sharing service

Now from the other computer go to the Network button in sidebar of the Finder window, you should hopefully see your other computer there

If not then press Command K (in the Finder) and type in the computer's IP and that should do it too

double click or press connect (which ever view your in) and you will need to enter the Admin name and password for that computer, once your done there select the drive you want and it should appear in the sidebar of the Finder and on the desktop

give us a shout if you have problems :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I think I've had the same slowness in moving files too

I have just switched from my iBook to my new PowerBook G4 and I noticed that when transfering files from one to the other that it also took ages to do

it is werid because if:

PowerBook was sharing to the iBook it would be slow (as in I was using iBook to move files to PowerBook)

but

if iBook was sharing to PowerBook it would be fine (as in using PowerBook to get files from iBook)

Or something like that

Anyone know whats up?

i think we must have the same problem... because i did all that and that was how i discovered the problem... surely a 193mb file shouldt take 4 hours??? when you do the discribed is it transfering over the internet or via the airport??

edit... im getting about 2mbs per second really....

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
AL-FAMOUS said:
i think we must have the same problem... because i did all that and that was how i discovered the problem... surely a 193mb file shouldt take 4 hours??? when you do the discribed is it transfering over the internet or via the airport??

edit... im getting about 2mbs per second really....

It will use the Airport Base Station, but I can understand at that speed why you would think that :D

But as I said simply sharing the other way it seemed to be faster so its not as if there is a hardware problem

Both Macs were right next to the Base Station during this process and whats werid is that it also happened when using FireWire IP too

But for that maybe it was still using the Airport connection even when connected to the FireWire so it might just be happening with Wireless :confused:

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
AL-FAMOUS said:
ive got a rev c powerbook and an emac both sharing the internet via airport extreme, now when i start sharing files it takes quite a while, so im assuming that im transfering them via the internet... can i transfer then via the basestation at 54mbps??? it really would help...because its saing 4hours for a 193mb file and its should take nearer 4 seconds... can you help or put me straight...thanks in advance :D

This is a VERY common misunderstanding caused by evil corporate lingo. Your file is 193MB (megabytes). Airport Extreme transfers at 54Mbps (megabits per second). 1 byte is 8 bits. Therefore, Airport Extreme is 6.75MBps (megabytes per second).

This is common for all bandwidth (Firewire is actually 50MB/s and so on).

Hard Drives do this too (1MB is 1024KB, not 1000KB. When they give you size, they assume 1MB=1000KB. This is why 60GB HDs end up closer to 56GBs).

However, 4 hours is still way too slow. It should be closer to a theoretical 30 seconds; even at 11MB/s (802.11b) it should only take about 2.5 minutes theoretically. That means it should easily do it in 2 minutes. Unless I did my math incorrectly, that means you have unbelievably slow speeds and/or the estimate is WAAAAYYY off.

Make sure personal file sharing is on so you're going through the network only (I don't know how anything else could happen...), and try the actual transfer while timing it. The estimate system is usually off somewhat and corrects as time goes on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.