Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Toronto
Hey guys...

I am a longtime PC veteran who has recently purchased a coupla macs. I would love to network at least one of them to my PC for file and print sharing.

I have tried everything I can think of (creating a seperate account for windows users on OSX, and changing the share properties to accept windows logons)

On the XP machine ive shared a folder that can be acessed through the "my network places" icon on the PC.

Ive connected the two systems with an ethernet cable that came bundled with my powerbook, and cant get one to recognize the other at all. Using the network utility in OSX, i cannot get a response when pinging the PC's IP.

The cable works when connecting the two macs together (i simply plug em in and cmd K) I can copy files back and forth no prob.

Ive tried using the ethernet cable that hooks one of my other PC's to a DSL modem but its the same problem.

What have I missed here? From what I've gathered, this should be quite straightforward.

Thanks,

Javex:confused:

javex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Toronto
oh

By the way, the system i want to network is a G4 933 running os 10.2.7

The powerbook that i can network this system to without any problems is one of the new 15.2" 1 gig, running the same os

Thanks!

Javex

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
OSX>XP

In Finder's Menubar click Go>Connect to Server...

Find your PC listed (should be the name of your pc on a network)

You'll be able to connect to the shared folders this way.

XP>OSX

In OSX's System Preferences enable Windows File Sharing under Sharing

In OSX's System Preferences again, under Accounts, go to Edit Account, and check the box (after entering your password) to allow logging in from Windows

In OSX, under Applications:Utilities:Directory Access.app; highlight SMB and click Configure. This is where you choose the SMB Workgroup. Make it the same Workgroup that the PC is on.

In XP, Go to Network Neighborhood
On the side bar to the left click "View Workgroup Computers"
Your Mac should be visible, double click on it
You'll have to enter your password and user name to get into it.

Jaguar cannot print from a Windows machine. As I understand, it's a new feature touted by Panther.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
I presume the cable that came with the mac is an ethernet patch cable. Newer macs can see there is no hub and can talk directly to each other. To network with the PC you will need a crossover, which are very cheap at your local computer shop.

From Apple's site:

Products that do not require a crossover cable

Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) and later
Xserve and later
Power Mac G5
PowerBook G4 and later
iMac (17-inch 1GHz)
eMac (ATI Graphics)
iBook (Dual USB) and later
AirPort Base Station (Dual Ethernet)
AirPort Extreme Base Station

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42717

javex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Toronto
The problem is that when i used cmd k, the PC isnt listed there! I cant even ping the PC from the Mac!

Thanks for the info on the SMB workgroup though.. i didn't realize that needed to be set and will probally save me some headache once i can ping the computers

argh

Javex

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
If pinging isn't working, then a hardware problem such as using a straight cable instead of a crossover cable is the most likely culprit. You can also purchase an inexpensive crossover adapter instead of a crossover patch cable if the computers are not physically close together and you want to use existing cabling.

javex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Toronto
crossover cable eh?

Sounds like that could be the problem there. I've never had an issue like this before, but then again i've always networked through a hub before and never directly from computer A to computer B

Is there any way i can make a crossover cable from my existing cable?

thanks!

javex

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: crossover cable eh?

Originally posted by javex
Sounds like that could be the problem there. I've never had an issue like this before, but then again i've always networked through a hub before and never directly from computer A to computer B

Is there any way i can make a crossover cable from my existing cable?

thanks!

javex

http://members.optushome.com.au/pengu/misc/Wireing Codes for Cat5.pdf

This PDF shows the process, have fun with all those wires, might as well pay £2 and get a real one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.